Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30, 2012, 02:11 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by altereDad View Post
I don't want to waste money on the the interface or have to use another program to eliminate it. It'll make it take longer to boot than Win7. =P
There is a couple regedits you can make for it as well. Adds about a second or two to boot time max.
Old November 30, 2012, 02:13 PM
Allstar

you have the option to create an iso after you purchase it , and then after if you need it , you can use the ISO on a DVD or USB stick and proceed to a clean install, fallowing those step

Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade

if you install a start menu like "Classic Shell" the only shortcut you have to remember is this one

Windows key + C: Access the charms bar

don't spend money on start menu replacement, Classic Shell is one of the best, and it's free

Welcome to Classic Shell
Old November 30, 2012, 02:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBender View Post
Here is a comprehensive (and very useful) list of all the Windows 8 shortcuts:

List of Windows 8 Shortcuts - Yash's Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

It starts off with all the Windows Key shortcuts.

I'm not sure if sswilson and jjthomp are on the same page as to what the Windows Key will do when you use it on its own in Windows 8 though.
Windows key: Switch between Modern Desktop Start screen and the last accessed application

If that's how it works, then no, it's not the same as the win7 function and I'm not interested, and thus complaining about the lack of start key is valid and not misinformation.

I'm only interested in having a M$ supplied (not third party) start key function or no win8 at all.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; November 30, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old November 30, 2012, 02:42 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm only interested in having a M$ supplied (not third party) start key function or no win8 at all.
it may come soon. but honestly I don't use start button replacement, all the software you install as a tile ( icon ) in the start page, but still I need to remember 2 short key

win + x to access my command prompt
win + c for the charm menu in Metro Apps ( this is a need only f you are using Metro apps , and you can just click the top left of the monitor to access it too )

for shut sown, I use ctr + alt + del ( then, the power option are at the right bottom )
Old November 30, 2012, 06:27 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Ballmer doesn't provide the kind of leadership MS needs- he's a douchebag.

Old November 30, 2012, 06:31 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippWhapp View Post
Ballmer doesn't provide the kind of leadership MS needs- he's a douchebag.
Isn't that the very definition of the kind of leadership a douchebag type of company needs?

Old November 30, 2012, 06:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBender View Post
Here is a comprehensive (and very useful) list of all the Windows 8 shortcuts:

List of Windows 8 Shortcuts - Yash's Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

It starts off with all the Windows Key shortcuts.

I'm not sure if sswilson and jjthomp are on the same page as to what the Windows Key will do when you use it on its own in Windows 8 though.
What exactly does the windows key + D do? It says it brings you to the desktop - is that a traditional desktop with icons (win 7 style)?
Old November 30, 2012, 07:31 PM
Allstar

win + D minimize all the applications running on the desktop , so you can see the desktop, it's the equivalent of the icon we have before "show desktop" to go from start page to desktop, you simply press the win key
Old December 1, 2012, 04:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Os is a means to end for me. I don't want to use "latest" OS because it looks fancy but is not user-friendly!
Old December 2, 2012, 01:55 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Windows 8 is actually really user-friendly if you have a touchscreen.