Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29, 2012, 11:17 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Google Launches Nexus 10 Tablet; An iPad Competitor at Just $399

The latest addition to Google’s Nexus family has finally arrived in the form of a $399 10.1” tabled dubbed the Nexus 10.

In an effort to capitalize upon their wildly successful Nexus 7, Google has now introduced the so-called Nexus 10, a larger 10.1” tablet that has an envious feature set. Produced by Samsung and perfected by Google’s internal design teams, the hope is that this new Nexus model will provide a reasonable alternative to Apple’s refreshed iPad.

Read more here: Google Launches Nexus 10 Tablet; An iPad Competitor at Just $399 | Hardware Canucks

Thoughts? Personally, I think it looks hideous and if the Galaxy 10.1 is any indication, the build quality will be "plastic and more plastic".
Old October 29, 2012, 11:32 AM
Allstar
F@H

I'm sure someone will come out with a nice case for it.

IMHO this is the deal breaker for some, Google announces 32GB HSPA+ Nexus 7, available to Canadians November 13th for $309 | MobileSyrup.com

Old October 29, 2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_zappa View Post
I'm sure someone will come out with a nice case for it.

IMHO this is the deal breaker for some, Google announces 32GB HSPA+ Nexus 7, available to Canadians November 13th for $309 | MobileSyrup.com
Personally, I think buying cases for mobile devices is ridiculous in the extreme but that's just me....

As for the HSPA+ version of the 7, I think that's what I'm going to buy. Since my Telus 6GB data plan can be shared, that would be perfect.
Old October 29, 2012, 12:08 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The latest addition to Google’s Nexus family has finally arrived in the form of a $399 10.1” tabled dubbed the Nexus 10.

In an effort to capitalize upon their wildly successful Nexus 7, Google has now introduced the so-called Nexus 10, a larger 10.1” tablet that has an envious feature set. Produced by Samsung and perfected by Google’s internal design teams, the hope is that this new Nexus model will provide a reasonable alternative to Apple’s refreshed iPad.

Read more here: Google Launches Nexus 10 Tablet; An iPad Competitor at Just $399 | Hardware Canucks

Thoughts? Personally, I think it looks hideous and if the Galaxy 10.1 is any indication, the build quality will be "plastic and more plastic".

Well, the screen is nothing like the 10.1 so no real comparison. Now that Samsung's non-comp with Apple has run out for the Retina display, I'm sure you will be seeing many of these non-Apple high-res tablets, and of course the same people who were calling people sheep for getting an Apple one six months ago will be oohing and ahhing over all the pixels

No LTE is a deal breaker for me... Just like SSDs and high-res screens, once you've gone LTE, you can't go back.

Old October 29, 2012, 12:21 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

LG nexus 4 looks like a cheap android phone.

The nexus 10 looks like a good product but the large round bezels are so unappealing and would be hard to use with a stand.

On the other hand I might sell my nexus 7 for the new 7 with mobile data as for me that's the only thing I was missing from the 7.

Although LTE speeds are nice, a 100mb a month LTE plan is $22 a 500mb is $37 and that is just internet!! No phone services.

I don't think I'm cheap but 100mb for $22!!! I can't even watch 1 hour of youtube on the public transit trip I take to class everyday with that cap! I'm looking for a 3gb plan from wind for $25 a month which doesn't have LTE.

Last edited by jibz; October 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old October 29, 2012, 12:27 PM

I';m not even going to bother posting the Nexus 4's press release. Ugh.
Old October 29, 2012, 12:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
LG nexus 4 looks like a cheap android phone.

The nexus 10 looks like a good product but the large round bezels are so unappealing and would be hard to use with a stand.

On the other hand I might sell my nexus 7 for the new 7 with mobile data as for me that's the only thing I was missing from the 7.

Although LTE speeds are nice, a 100mb a month LTE plan is $22 a 500mb is $37 and that is just internet!! No phone services.

I don't think I'm cheap but 100mb for $22!!! I can't even watch 1 hour of youtube on the public transit trip I take to class everyday with that cap! I'm looking for a 3gb plan from wind for $25 a month which doesn't have LTE.
I think a potential LTE version may be for those of us who have 6GB LTE phone plans. $70 is what I pay for mine...

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old October 29, 2012, 12:49 PM

Another odd bit: why the hell does Google charge a $100 premium to go from 16GB to 32GB when that same bump is $50 on the Nexus 7?
Old October 29, 2012, 12:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Isn't OEM flash magnitudes below $1/gigabyte? Why is storage such a premium?
Old October 29, 2012, 01:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Personally, I think buying cases for mobile devices is ridiculous in the extreme but that's just me....

As for the HSPA+ version of the 7, I think that's what I'm going to buy. Since my Telus 6GB data plan can be shared, that would be perfect.
Agreed, it's sort of why I like the design of the Surface, the thing is it's own case, all you need is the optional cover/keyboard and you're good to go.

I know it's not a "mobile phone" device but it's still a mobile tablet and lots of people buy cases for their tablets.