Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   Google Launches Nexus 10 Tablet; An iPad Competitor at Just $399 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/57587-google-launches-nexus-10-tablet-ipad-competitor-just-399-a.html)

SKYMTL October 29, 2012 11:17 AM

Google Launches Nexus 10 Tablet; An iPad Competitor at Just $399

The latest addition to Google’s Nexus family has finally arrived in the form of a $399 10.1” tabled dubbed the Nexus 10.

In an effort to capitalize upon their wildly successful Nexus 7, Google has now introduced the so-called Nexus 10, a larger 10.1” tablet that has an envious feature set. Produced by Samsung and perfected by Google’s internal design teams, the hope is that this new Nexus model will provide a reasonable alternative to Apple’s refreshed iPad.

Read more here: Google Launches Nexus 10 Tablet; An iPad Competitor at Just $399 | Hardware Canucks

Thoughts? Personally, I think it looks hideous and if the Galaxy 10.1 is any indication, the build quality will be "plastic and more plastic". :sad:

punk_zappa October 29, 2012 11:32 AM

I'm sure someone will come out with a nice case for it.

IMHO this is the deal breaker for some, Google announces 32GB HSPA+ Nexus 7, available to Canadians November 13th for $309 | MobileSyrup.com

SKYMTL October 29, 2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_zappa (Post 667164)
I'm sure someone will come out with a nice case for it.

IMHO this is the deal breaker for some, Google announces 32GB HSPA+ Nexus 7, available to Canadians November 13th for $309 | MobileSyrup.com

Personally, I think buying cases for mobile devices is ridiculous in the extreme but that's just me....

As for the HSPA+ version of the 7, I think that's what I'm going to buy. Since my Telus 6GB data plan can be shared, that would be perfect.

BeaverBender October 29, 2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 667162)
The latest addition to Google’s Nexus family has finally arrived in the form of a $399 10.1” tabled dubbed the Nexus 10.

In an effort to capitalize upon their wildly successful Nexus 7, Google has now introduced the so-called Nexus 10, a larger 10.1” tablet that has an envious feature set. Produced by Samsung and perfected by Google’s internal design teams, the hope is that this new Nexus model will provide a reasonable alternative to Apple’s refreshed iPad.

Read more here: Google Launches Nexus 10 Tablet; An iPad Competitor at Just $399 | Hardware Canucks

Thoughts? Personally, I think it looks hideous and if the Galaxy 10.1 is any indication, the build quality will be "plastic and more plastic". :sad:

Well, the screen is nothing like the 10.1 so no real comparison. Now that Samsung's non-comp with Apple has run out for the Retina display, I'm sure you will be seeing many of these non-Apple high-res tablets, and of course the same people who were calling people sheep for getting an Apple one six months ago will be oohing and ahhing over all the pixels :biggrin:

No LTE is a deal breaker for me... Just like SSDs and high-res screens, once you've gone LTE, you can't go back.

jibz October 29, 2012 12:21 PM

LG nexus 4 looks like a cheap android phone.

The nexus 10 looks like a good product but the large round bezels are so unappealing and would be hard to use with a stand.

On the other hand I might sell my nexus 7 for the new 7 with mobile data as for me that's the only thing I was missing from the 7.

Although LTE speeds are nice, a 100mb a month LTE plan is $22 a 500mb is $37 and that is just internet!! No phone services.

I don't think I'm cheap but 100mb for $22!!! I can't even watch 1 hour of youtube on the public transit trip I take to class everyday with that cap! I'm looking for a 3gb plan from wind for $25 a month which doesn't have LTE.

SKYMTL October 29, 2012 12:27 PM

I';m not even going to bother posting the Nexus 4's press release. Ugh.

great_big_abyss October 29, 2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jibz (Post 667174)
LG nexus 4 looks like a cheap android phone.

The nexus 10 looks like a good product but the large round bezels are so unappealing and would be hard to use with a stand.

On the other hand I might sell my nexus 7 for the new 7 with mobile data as for me that's the only thing I was missing from the 7.

Although LTE speeds are nice, a 100mb a month LTE plan is $22 a 500mb is $37 and that is just internet!! No phone services.

I don't think I'm cheap but 100mb for $22!!! I can't even watch 1 hour of youtube on the public transit trip I take to class everyday with that cap! I'm looking for a 3gb plan from wind for $25 a month which doesn't have LTE.

I think a potential LTE version may be for those of us who have 6GB LTE phone plans. $70 is what I pay for mine...

SKYMTL October 29, 2012 12:49 PM

Another odd bit: why the hell does Google charge a $100 premium to go from 16GB to 32GB when that same bump is $50 on the Nexus 7?

jibz October 29, 2012 12:53 PM

Isn't OEM flash magnitudes below $1/gigabyte? Why is storage such a premium?

Arinoth October 29, 2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 667167)
Personally, I think buying cases for mobile devices is ridiculous in the extreme but that's just me....

As for the HSPA+ version of the 7, I think that's what I'm going to buy. Since my Telus 6GB data plan can be shared, that would be perfect.

Agreed, it's sort of why I like the design of the Surface, the thing is it's own case, all you need is the optional cover/keyboard and you're good to go.

I know it's not a "mobile phone" device but it's still a mobile tablet and lots of people buy cases for their tablets.