Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 30, 2012, 10:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm still liking my original Motorola Milestone. I have yet to see a phone on the modern market that I like as much as my OG Droid. Thing is solid.
Old October 30, 2012, 10:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

Perhaps there should be a dedicated thread for the Nexus 4?

OT: Here is a hands-on review of the Nexus 4, Hands-On With LG And Google’s First Smartphone Collaboration, The Nexus 4 | TechCrunch

Quote:
The first thing I noticed when I picked up the Nexus 4 is how remarkably sturdy it feels. Despite being an LG device, the Nexus 4 doesn’t really feel like one — it’s far more solid and slab-like than the plasticky handsets that the company has churned out in the past. This may sound weird, but I once I picked it up and got a feeling for its heft, I couldn’t resist the urge to tap the thing on the table a few times just to see how it held up (the answer: quite nicely).
To me, the 16gb phone is good enough. I practically use the phone as a phone. All I need is the calendar, email apps, some music, some games and Kobo. When we went on a trip I loaded the Playbook with movies for my kids. Movies are also in the flash drive which we watched in the hotel, most hotels have LCD TVs now. The iPad for games. I could really care less with how plasticky it feels I just want gorilla glass.

I was in Staples the other day and checked out the tablets and there is no comparison between the others and the Nexus 7, it is so snappy and the screen is nice. If I want to watch a hi-def movie I use my Bluray player. And for a 7 inch slate, MP4 format is good enough.

Old October 30, 2012, 10:41 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm curious to what gorilla glass is/means. Is it the stuff that makes the iPad 3 way too heavy? I'm super happy with non glass screens as long as they don't feel flexible or breakable.

I like a device I can be reckless with. My devices usually hit concrete two or three times in their life and a screen that cracks is something I have no interest in.
Old October 30, 2012, 12:42 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The Nexus 4 still uses plastic and an idiotic glossy (PLASTIC!) back plate. No thanks.

I've said this once and I will say it again: any tablet / phone without a metallic or rubberized back / sides is DOA for me.
Old October 30, 2012, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The Nexus 4 still uses plastic and an idiotic glossy (PLASTIC!) back plate. No thanks.

I've said this once and I will say it again: any tablet / phone without a metallic or rubberized back / sides is DOA for me.
To tell you the truth shock proofing wise metallic backing is probably one of the worst materials you can use and plastic or even better plastic covered by rubber or vice versa is the best. That is why cases are not made of metal A) poor shock proofing B) more prone to permanent deformation
Old October 30, 2012, 02:47 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

There are plenty of ways to institute a metal case without running into any of the issues you detailed....
Old October 30, 2012, 03:06 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

To be honest....Id rather crack the BACK of the phone...then crack the glass. Back....a bit of crazy glue (or industrial glue) and you are good to go. Front...you are screwed. Apple uses Alu because it is CHEAP...but looks 'cool'.

Personally a good rubberized 'plastic' back > slick as crap ALU.

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 30, 2012, 03:13 PM

My System Specs

IMO the Nexus 10 is hideous. Aesthetics are too important these days and it just looks plain cheap.
Old October 30, 2012, 04:15 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

While the Nexus 4 may or may not be a good phone , the fact remains is that is cheap and we can buy it in
Canada direct from Google. Hopefully Google keeps this going well into the future.
Old October 30, 2012, 04:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
There are plenty of ways to institute a metal case without running into any of the issues you detailed....
Not the permanent deformation, metal cases don't do elastic deformation like plastic. Plastic makes the best casing for strength purposes, I know that sounds ridiculous but it has a good balance of qualities to make durable cases. I do agree with you that rubberized plastic backing would be better however the metallic backing it purely aesthetic and really doesn't provide much functionally.

Shock absorption can be dealt with by putting rubber inside the aluminum case but to make a difference you need atleast 1mm thickness (and really it still isn't doing much) and now you are making your phone thicker which people will then complain about. You could also mount shock absorbing pads to keep the goods safe but yet again you are making your phone thicker and more prone to things going loose (since with shock absorbing pads you need to use adhesive and not screws otherwise the energy is just transferred through the screw and the pad does nothing.

All solutions have trade offs, plastic feels cheaper, aluminum is just an inferior product and rubber needs to be thick.

For me I think the best option would be plastic coated with Bitfenix's Softouch coating to make it feel a little more high end but functionally it is the same product.