Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29, 2012, 06:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBender View Post
What are you smoking over there? I'd like some. Seriously, you should at least make an attempt to check your facts before making a completely erroneous statement like that.
which tablet has higher resolution than 2,560 x 1,600 ?
Old October 29, 2012, 06:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Any yet 80% of the people buying these things are using them for Angry Birds and Facebook updates.

I like the fact they drove down prices, but there have been some sacrifices. THe Nexus 7 was an introductory device, so I understand all the quirks and inflexibility. What I don't like to see is that newer releases are still locked down and forcing us to use a cloud. A handful of hardware enthusiasts here are loving a stupidly high resolution screen to watch movies on their tablets, but most of the world would rather have HDMI to watch on a TV. Most people would rather buy a SD card than wish they had more storage.

What exactly do any of these crazy fast quad cores run that my dual core cannot? I have yet to see any games/software of any kind on an Android device other than a benchmark that sees enough improvement over the dual cores to justify moving up. Everything on the market will run on my Tegra 2 fluidly. We're seeing lots of innovation in hardware yet we see nothing in terms of software to warrant it.

I'd rather see them focusing on software instead of increasing the E-Penis effect. The horse is dead and beaten, but my 1 year old A100 Tegra 2 is still just as satisfying in nearly every way and much more versatile. There are also 2 other phones currently available with 2GB of ram as well.

Google has done nothing revolutionary and are just following what the Apple has already accomplished, just at a reduced price. So the innovation is just not there, Apple already beat them to the punch.
Old October 29, 2012, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
What are you smoking over there? I'd like some. Seriously, you should at least make an attempt to check your facts before making a completely erroneous statement like that.
  • Retina display
  • 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
  • 2048-by-1536 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)
  • Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
Quote:
The screen meanwhile comes in at a Retina display defying resolution of 2560 x 1600 (or 300ppi for those keeping track of such things) and is flanked by a pair of front facing speakers.
Granted I'm not too up on high resolution tiny screens, but I believe that's what he's smoking.

bah, ninja'd.
Old October 29, 2012, 06:43 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I want to see Google finally beat Apple on build quality. So far, most of the Android stuff just feels like overpriced toys.
Old October 29, 2012, 06:44 PM
MVP

I agree, Jake_HT.

Now that the smartphone and tablet markets are maturing, the great leaps forward we've grown accustomed to the past few years have, at least for now, come to a close. Price/performance ratio and value have become more important to many.

I see much more potential to innovate in software than in hardware now. This is where MS may have an edge. I think that in a couple of years, current touchscreen/mobile operating systems will seem as if they were designed by Fisher Price for children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I want to see Google finally beat Apple on build quality. So far, most of the Android stuff just feels like overpriced toys.
I'm of the opinion that iphones--while aesthetically pleasing and feel well designed--have poor functional attributes such as ergonomics and shock tolerance. IMO, 'cheap plastic' is practically superior in most consumer electronics applications. I think the S3 and Note devices are the best engineered practical designs available, with HTC close behind.

This is why we don't have aluminum remote controls and game controllers--well, Jonathon Ive might.

Google's goal is to reduce Apple's incredible profit margins. I expect they will continue to drive prices downward.

Last edited by Desiato; October 29, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old October 29, 2012, 06:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
This is a Galaxy, not a LeapFrog.
My kids won't even look at the leapfrog devices.

They either want to be on a full blown computer, my SGS2X, my wife's Nokia N8 for the camera, or a tablet.

But whatever, the "build quality" doesn't bother me at all. Isn't "white", "brushed aluminum", and "glossy" kinda overdone the past few years?

The bezel wouldn't stop be from buying it anyway.
Old October 29, 2012, 07:10 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
which tablet has higher resolution than 2,560 x 1,600 ?
Where did I say there was a tablet with a higher resolution? No, what I was disagreeing with is that the resolution has "far" more pixels than a retina display on the iPad, especially considering how many people on this forum (and even in this thread) have previously pointed out that all those extra pixels on the iPad are completely unnecessary

Old October 29, 2012, 07:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Where did I say there was a tablet with a higher resolution? No, what I was disagreeing with is that the resolution has "far" more pixels than a retina display on the iPad, especially considering how many people on this forum (and even in this thread) have previously pointed out that all those extra pixels on the iPad are completely unnecessary
Regardless of people saying it's unnecessary, which it is, the Google tablet has a higher resolution than the Apple product.

It was probably necessary to have equal or more pixels to swindle money of out people who are stat whores.
Old October 29, 2012, 07:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
it has 30% more pixels, that's enough for me to say "far" more. It's not 2% more, it's 30..

And if 300 ppi is unnecessary compared to 264 ppi or whatever the ipad is, then why isn't the iPhone only 264 ppi? Is the 300+ ppi screen of the iPhone unnecessary too?

Regardless, it's got a much (yes, much) higher res screen than any other tablet, and it's bit cheaper also. I think it's great, and very competitive.
Old October 30, 2012, 09:30 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Agreed. That's what is holding me back from getting a Nexus 4. It looks to feel just as cheap as the Galaxy Nexus.

An HTC One X "Nexus" (stock Android) + a MicroSD slot, would be the perfect android device for me.