Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 29, 2012, 03:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Another odd bit: why the hell does Google charge a $100 premium to go from 16GB to 32GB when that same bump is $50 on the Nexus 7?
Because Apple did it. Their pricing is clearly supposed to be $100 less than Apple on all fronts. I would bet that if Apple made a price cut tomorrow Google would follow. Then again that is a ludicrous thought because Apple never makes price cuts, their products are the same price from release to the day the next one comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBender View Post
Well, the screen is nothing like the 10.1 so no real comparison. Now that Samsung's non-comp with Apple has run out for the Retina display, I'm sure you will be seeing many of these non-Apple high-res tablets, and of course the same people who were calling people sheep for getting an Apple one six months ago will be oohing and ahhing over all the pixels

No LTE is a deal breaker for me... Just like SSDs and high-res screens, once you've gone LTE, you can't go back.
I went LTE and it doesn't bother me that I am no longer on LTE... Sure it is faster downloading but in general the download speed isn't what holds your phone back unless you are streaming 1080p+ which is suicide for your data plan anyway. Whether I am at 4g or LTE my phone loads web pages at the same speed.

Also on the sheep thing for Apple the extra pixels are nice but you still aren't going to be making much use of them. I am opposed to paying a large premium for things I don't need. Google isn't really charging much of a premium at all. They are competitively priced with many other tablets with lower resolutions therefore this is a good buy and the pixels are a bonus, not a premium. That is the difference for me anyway I don't know about other people but my stance has always been great machine's but over priced. Give me a great mahcine at a more reasonable price and I am happy.

Last edited by SugarJ; October 29, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old October 29, 2012, 05:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
The result is a 10” tablet with flared edges, mounds of plastic and an oversized bezel.
I think the large bezel makes it easier for kids to use. With smaller bezels they end up holding on to the edge of the touch surface which makes anything they're trying to do not work correctly.
Old October 29, 2012, 05:40 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I think the large bezel makes it easier for kids to use. With smaller bezels they end up holding on to the edge of the touch surface which makes anything they're trying to do not work correctly.
This is a Galaxy, not a LeapFrog.
Old October 29, 2012, 05:43 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I';m not even going to bother posting the Nexus 4's press release. Ugh.
and why is that? The specs are really good for its price point considering its unlocked. Perhaps because its made by LG?
Old October 29, 2012, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Honestly, I find all these latest releases under-whelming at best. Overhyped and the specs are just not anything to jump for joy over. All I see are high resolution screens. the hardware is just not there to justify the prices.

I really feel bad for Nexus 7 8GB early adopters, their tablets are worth considerably less than what they paid after this press release.
Old October 29, 2012, 06:35 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I really feel bad for Nexus 7 8GB early adopters, their tablets are worth considerably less than what they paid.
Why? This is what happens with everyone who is an early adopter of technology.

Old October 29, 2012, 06:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Hmm nice screen but yah .. its fugly..

If anyone wants to sell their Nexus 7 for cheap I'll take either a 8 or 16 but would prefer a 16 :P
Old October 29, 2012, 06:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

But they were not early adopters of any new technology, just early adopters to a overpriced and inflexible platform. My A100 is still better than the Nexus 7 by a long shot, I have far more memory, I have a dock that allows the use of a remote and the HDMI cable connects there and I can still get as much or more for my gear as a Nexus 7. It was overpriced and overhyped and now those that bought them are paying the price with reduced values.
Old October 29, 2012, 07:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Honestly, I find all these latest releases under-whelming at best. Overhyped and the specs are just not anything to jump for joy over. All I see are high resolution screens. the hardware is just not there to justify the prices.

I really feel bad for Nexus 7 8GB early adopters, their tablets are worth considerably less than what they paid after this press release.
The specs aren't anything to jump for?? What??

the nexus 4 has the fastest processor in any smartphone right now. It has 2GB of RAM, no other phone has more than that. It has one of the best screens and at 320ppi. Sure the storage is lacking and it has no LTE but the price? it's f**cking half the cost of any smartphone that is even close its specs. Half. And the build quality looks quite impressive to me with gorilla glass 2 front and back, curved edges on the front and extended frame to prevent smashing while dropping.

The nexus 10 has the new exynos processor which is no slouch, also 2GB of RAM, and by far the highest res screen of any tablet. I'd say the best tablet period right now, and it's $400. Much cheaper than the competition and better in every way except storage capacity which is only important for certain people. Sure it looks funny but it's not a T shirt! lol

Nexus 7 is even more impressive now with the storage increase. Spits all over the iPad mini announced a few days ago at quite the cost savings...

Color me impressed, we have nothing to complain about because not only did google announce some quite impressive devices, their pricing is simply AMAZING and that is innovation more than any other company is doing right now. This is exciting, google is competing hard right now. This is what the industry needs to lower costs of technology.

And the new android 4.2 improvements look fantastic and basically make cyanogenmod obsolete... lockscreen shortcuts, quick settings, etc..

Quote:
Yeah but they've had it for 3 months now, and they got $25 for google play. My galaxy note sure ain't worth what it was brand new... especially now
Old October 29, 2012, 07:32 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
The nexus 10 has the new exynos processor which is no slouch, also 2GB of RAM, and by far the highest res screen of any tablet.
What are you smoking over there? I'd like some. Seriously, you should at least make an attempt to check your facts before making a completely erroneous statement like that.