Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2007, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Viacom Sues YouTube BIGTIME

Somehow, the big babies at Viacom (which owns mtv, comedy central VH1, etc.) seem to think that YouTube owes them a BILLION dollars! I wonder how many monkeys it took to come up with that number.

Read the article here
Old March 14, 2007, 10:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Somehow, the big babies at Viacom (which owns mtv, comedy central VH1, etc.) seem to think that YouTube owes them a BILLION dollars! I wonder how many monkeys it took to come up with that number.

Read the article here
Yeah this was all over the news the other night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 14, 2007, 10:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

Youtube owners sell Youtube for meeeeelions of dollars
Google buys Youtube
Viacom sues Youtube.

Good ole Youtube owners having a loaded grenade and tossing it at the right time!
Old March 14, 2007, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

They sure did. Besides, unfettered video posting is going to be a thing of the past sooner more than later. With the amount of abuse rampant on youtube and other services like it, there will almost certainly be government intervention and censorship since people think it is fun to abuse other people and post videos about it. Personally, the world and the internet would be a better place if youtube and the likes were shut down. Make people pay to upload their filth and there wouldn't be much of it, and make people accountable for their illegal online actions and there would be infinitely less piracy. Go get 'em Viacom!!!!!!!
Old March 14, 2007, 11:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The law suit has nothing to do with clips of people humiliating themselves, it's over things like grainy 30 second clips of someone's stupid stand-up comedy act from Comedy Central- as if those are smehow costing Viacom money- if anything, they're just teasers, and promote the programs.

And even though it's an infringement, do you really think a BILLION dollars is reasonable when youtube is only indirectly responsible at best?
Old March 14, 2007, 11:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
The law suit has nothing to do with clips of people humiliating themselves, it's over things like grainy 30 second clips of someone's stupid stand-up comedy act from Comedy Central- as if those are smehow costing Viacom money- if anything, they're just teasers, and promote the programs.

And even though it's an infringement, do you really think a BILLION dollars is reasonable when youtube is only indirectly responsible at best?
Not just those, there are a ton of viacom shows on Youtube that you may not know are owned or distributed BY Viacom :)
Old March 14, 2007, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

whatever- it is kinda fun to watch giants fall
Old March 14, 2007, 01:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

No giant is going to fall.. if you think Google didn't realize this was gonna happen then people are pretty silly.
Old March 14, 2007, 01:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

but a billion dollars??? that's the budget that NASA requires to monitor comets and meteors for the next 15 years
Old March 14, 2007, 02:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
but a billion dollars??? that's the budget that NASA requires to monitor comets and meteors for the next 15 years
1 beeeeeeeeeeeelion dollarz... ain't gonna happen :)