Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2012, 09:10 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Analysts Worry about App Store on Eve of Windows 8 Launch

With the launch of Windows 8 only days away, some analysts are not confident in Microsoft’s Windows Store strategy.

Patrick Moorhead, Principal analyst at Moor Insights & Strategy, has been a long time skeptic of the potential success of the Windows Store. Mr. Moorhead believes that there aren’t simply enough apps available to provide the diverse ‘long-tail’ library that would make the store a success — on either the P.C or tablet platforms.

Read more here: Analysts Worry about App Store on Eve of Windows 8 Launch | Hardware Canucks
Old October 24, 2012, 09:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have a strong feeling that the problems they're anticipating with the windows app store is similar to that of the Blackberry App store.
High hopes, and no content....

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old October 24, 2012, 09:44 AM
Allstar

I wish Microsoft will fail very hard. The majority of their customers dislike Windows 8 Metro crap, they don't listen them, so they have to pay for it now. I'm using Windows 8 since a year now, I have not yet found a Metro Crap apps worth to change from 7 to 8, honestly if those kind of apps interest you, get an iPad or an Android tablets.

PS I'm not an Anti Microsoft type, I always adopt they new OS at release or before and this since MS-DOS, I'm using right now Windows 8, but this time it's way way way too much.
Old October 24, 2012, 10:00 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

IMO, the Metro UI for desktop systems is a failure. For touch-sensitive devices however, it is brilliant.
Old October 24, 2012, 10:06 AM
Allstar

If we take only 1 example: they have a Metro PDF reader, if you want to print it, you have to fight on the side of the screen to open the charm menu, or to remember to press "win + c" I don't use so much keyboard short cut since WP 5.1 and Lotus 1-2-3 for DOS , that's a 30 years step back Microsoft
Old October 24, 2012, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
With the launch of Windows 8 only days away, some analysts are not confident in Microsoft’s Windows Store strategy.

Patrick Moorhead, Principal analyst at Moor Insights & Strategy, has been a long time skeptic of the potential success of the Windows Store. Mr. Moorhead believes that there aren’t simply enough apps available to provide the diverse ‘long-tail’ library that would make the store a success — on either the P.C or tablet platforms.

Read more here: Analysts Worry about App Store on Eve of Windows 8 Launch | Hardware Canucks
Analysts worry that there will only be 5 apps to choose form that do the same thing instead of 100...
Old October 24, 2012, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I really hope for the point of market innovation, that the app store catches on for Windows RT/8 tablet space. I'm ashamed at them messing with the desktop experience, but I think the tablet space needs to be brought outside the tablet box and given the hybrid desktop/tablet approach that M$ is showing with the surface. I wonder if M$ was smart in the accessibility to programmers? One of the major problems (I would guess) is to convince developers already making $$ in the android or iOS app store to have to make programs for yet ANOTHER OS that might not be so lucrative?
Old October 24, 2012, 12:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I hope they do well, anything to bring Apple down as they are the worst company in the industry right now.
Old October 24, 2012, 03:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
I hope they do well, anything to bring Apple down as they are the worst company in the industry right now.
lol, 10 years ago people were hoping somebody like Apple would knock MS down

My how times have changed!

If I get Win8 for my dsktop or laptop the first thing I will do is install a start bar hack! Botat is right, using keyboard shortcuts is a step backwards!
Old October 25, 2012, 10:45 AM
Cooler Master USA

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
IMO, the Metro UI for desktop systems is a failure. For touch-sensitive devices however, it is brilliant.
This is exactly how I feel about it. I got a Windows 7 Mango phone for international travel because of a built-in translator app for Chinese (it was a trade so it was worth the risk). I was and am impressed by the operating system. There are a few minor quibbles, but overall it's fast, smooth, and intuitive.

That same operating system on a desktop with a Microsoft controlled store? Big case of misplaced priorities there. It almost seems lazy.

I would have reserved that layout for AIO Touch PCs or anything Slate-like.

CM Blog, CM Forums, CMHD.tv, CMUSA Questions? -
CM FAQ, Live Support