Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   Apple Launches iPad Mini, Updates iPad with A6X Processor (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/57485-apple-launches-ipad-mini-updates-ipad-a6x-processor.html)

SKYMTL October 24, 2012 08:07 AM

Apple Launches iPad Mini, Updates iPad with A6X Processor

After months of speculation, Apple has launched their answer to Google’s Nexus 7. Called the iPad Mini, it boasts a 7.9 inch screen and retail prices will start at $329.

In a presentation that included a number of surprises alongside plenty of chest thumping, self-aggrandizing and at least 23 uses of the words “amazing” or “incredible”, Apple finally launched the iPad Mini. As with most Apple launches, both Twitter and Facebook lit up with both negative and positive commentary. However, the general vibe pointed towards the Mini being an enticing device which costs slightly less than initially expected.

Read more here: Apple Launches iPad Mini, Updates iPad with A6X Processor | Hardware Canucks

Thoughts? :ph34r:

frontier204 October 24, 2012 10:37 AM

How slow is the battery charging going to be with the tiny connector? I wouldn't trust it over many connect/disconnect cycles charging a full-sized iPad...

SKYMTL October 24, 2012 10:40 AM

Well if you put it that way, mini / micro USB doesn't look all that sturdy either.... ;)

BeaverBender October 24, 2012 10:46 AM

Personally I don't like that form-factor. If you want to use it as an e-reader then buy an e-reader. I think the 10" form-factor of the iPad3 (or, the "New iPad" which is now old) is much more appealing and functional, and I agree the connector seems considerably sturdier... I'll stick with my iPad3. I have learned to swipe-type on mine quite quickly so it is actually useful for even relatively lengthy pieces of text... like this post :biggrin:

Eluder October 24, 2012 11:03 AM

Crap device, the Nexus 7 is a better tablet with a better screen.
I thought Apple was never going to do a 7" tablet? ;)

AkG October 24, 2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eluder (Post 665789)

I think the quote by Steve Jobs was "over my dead body".....:whistle:...:P

lowfat October 24, 2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eluder (Post 665789)

Calling a Nexus 7 better is debatable. Better for the price, definitely. It doesn't have gorilla glass though, which is a deal breaker for me.

great_big_abyss October 24, 2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AkG (Post 665801)
I think the quote by Steve Jobs was "over my dead body".....:whistle:...:P

:rofl::rofl:

To those people saying 'the nexus 7 is better', 'Apple shouldn't have made an iPad mini', I say Meh. I'm definitely no fan of Apple, but more choice in the marketplace is never a bad thing.

SKYMTL October 24, 2012 11:58 AM

Personally, I am really not a fan of the Nexus 7. Sure, I love the back's textured finish but I can't stand the Home button placement, the screen never seems to be oriented correctly and the lack of Flash simply brings it down to the level of Apple's devices. Not only that but the front facing camera absolutely blows chunks and it doesn't have a rear-facing camera either.

I'd gladly pay the extra $150 for what I feel is a better overall design (again, minus the aluminum back) from Apple with features that will certainly come in handy.

MonsterSound October 24, 2012 12:00 PM

I prefer the smaller size and lighter weight but with a res of only 1024 x 768 and at that high price, I'm not impressed.
Nexus 7 1280 x 800
Kindle Fire HD 1280 x 800
NOOK HD 1440 x 900
Koboarc 1280 x 800