Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 24, 2012, 12:18 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSound View Post
I prefer the smaller size and lighter weight but with a res of only 1024 x 768 and at that high price, I'm not impressed.
Nexus 7 1280 x 800
Kindle Fire HD 1280 x 800
NOOK HD 1440 x 900
Koboarc 1280 x 800
What do all these use for panels? Resolution and PPI don't make a great screen. I don't mine the 1024x768 on my iPad 2, it can only look better on a 7.9", amirite?
Old October 24, 2012, 12:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Calling a Nexus 7 better is debatable. Better for the price, definitely. It doesn't have gorilla glass though, which is a deal breaker for me.
Gorilla glass on a tablet?
How often do you drop your tablet or put it in your pocket with keys? :)
I personally think gorilla glass on a tablet is pointless, but that's just me.

It's definitely better for the money, and does have a nicer (higher res) screen, plus a better OS.
Old October 24, 2012, 01:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Personally, I am really not a fan of the Nexus 7. Sure, I love the back's textured finish but I can't stand the Home button placement, the screen never seems to be oriented correctly and the lack of Flash simply brings it down to the level of Apple's devices. Not only that but the front facing camera absolutely blows chunks and it doesn't have a rear-facing camera either.

I'd gladly pay the extra $150 for what I feel is a better overall design (again, minus the aluminum back) from Apple with features that will certainly come in handy.
I can't stand apple's one button design, I love android's 3 buttons (universal back button, home and tabs). The screen orientation on my nexus 7 work just as good if not better than the Ipad3 I've played around with. And I have flash installed and working on my nexus 7, just because it was pulled from the app store doesn't mean it isn't still distributed by third parties.

The reason I got a nexus 7 is because I liked the Ipad but choose the more affordable route that doesn't involve subscribing to the apple ecosystem, you can't pay me to use Itunes. And I can honestly say the nexus 7 in my opinion is just as cool/functional as an apple device, I wouldn't say it has an edge on the Ipad nor would I say the Ipad has an edge on it.

I can see your argument about the camera, but I'm not the type of guy who takes any pictures at all so I don't even notice.
Old October 24, 2012, 01:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
Gorilla glass on a tablet?
How often do you drop your tablet or put it in your pocket with keys? :)
I personally think gorilla glass on a tablet is pointless, but that's just me.

It's definitely better for the money, and does have a nicer (higher res) screen, plus a better OS.
I left my Touchpad on the night table a couple nights ago after reading late, my wife found my 20 month old daughter standing on the screen the next morning. Glad the screen is as tough as it is.
Old October 24, 2012, 03:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBender View Post
Personally I don't like that form-factor. If you want to use it as an e-reader then buy an e-reader. I think the 10" form-factor of the iPad3 (or, the "New iPad" which is now old) is much more appealing and functional, ...
Actually, I have to disagree on this. I think the 7" form factor is better. It's not as cumbersome to carry around, and a lot easier to write emails quickly without the need of either an optional keyboard or having to put the device on a table/stand/lap. While this may seem like something minuscule, There are a lot of companies where employees use these devices (They were everywhere when I worked at MUN), and I'm sure this smaller form factor will be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, the 10" is great for entertainment, games, web browsing, etc..., but the 7" will be the workhorse
Old October 24, 2012, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron 3030 View Post
Actually, I have to disagree on this. I think the 7" form factor is better. It's not as cumbersome to carry around, and a lot easier to write emails quickly without the need of either an optional keyboard or having to put the device on a table/stand/lap. While this may seem like something minuscule, There are a lot of companies where employees use these devices (They were everywhere when I worked at MUN), and I'm sure this smaller form factor will be greatly appreciated.

In my opinion, the 10" is great for entertainment, games, web browsing, etc..., but the 7" will be the workhorse
I agree with this... If I have something 10 inches I would prefer if it had a keyboard and could run desktop apps and I would pay a good premium for an ultrabook to be able to do that. From a tablet I would want no more than 8.5 inches... Small enough to throw in the front pocket of a sweater but big enough to browse more comfortably than my cellphone.
Old October 24, 2012, 03:46 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
If I have something 10 inches.
Well, some of us do

Old October 24, 2012, 03:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I left my Touchpad on the night table a couple nights ago after reading late, my wife found my 20 month old daughter standing on the screen the next morning. Glad the screen is as tough as it is.
...and still no picture of you holding her up horizontally....
Old October 24, 2012, 05:59 PM
Top Prospect

Can't say much until I actually hold one in my hand. Apple products always seem disappointing to me in photos, but completely change my mind when I have one in my hand.
Old October 24, 2012, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Disappointed in the resolution. If it had 1280x720 I would buy it even at that price but I can not spend $429 for something that is so outdated. People buy these for watching videos ect. Apple is clearly holding back so that people will buy the Mini 2.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."