Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 19, 2012, 09:02 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default AMD Announces Q3 Results; $157 Million Loss, Layoffs Planned

AMD has been struggling as of late and their latest financial results point to a situation that is looking quite bleak, particularly for the APU business.

One of the main challenges faced by technology companies in this day and age is staying profitable, regardless of the market’s troubling waters. While many (including Intel and NVIDIA) have faced declines in their revenue streams, they have come through 2012 largely unscathed due to their relatively large amounts of on-hand cash and their continued strength with OEMs. Unfortunately, the same can’t be said for AMD, which, after several restructuring efforts has gone from minor profits to operating losses.

Read more here: AMD Announces Q3 Results; $157 Million Loss, Layoffs Planned | Hardware Canucks
Old October 19, 2012, 09:05 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Bulldozer was a massive failure. They better pull up their socks.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:07 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I wouldnt say failure, but it was certainly underwhelming considering the hype before it release. For my part, I still got 2 extra cores and .5ghz more overclock for the same price as the previous generation, so I was happy-ish.

Still need more from them though.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:09 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Actually, judging from their results, Llano was a massive failure.
Old October 19, 2012, 09:11 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Thanks for that positive spin on things... lol
Old October 19, 2012, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Thanks for that positive spin on things... lol
Actualy Sky is completely right .... They overestimated & overmanufactored Liano's which for a company tryin to come up positively is a VERY bad thing! Now all they can hope is to sell that remaining inventory below cost & lose on it because the positives that trininty has shown might outway a oem/pc manufacters interest in liano chips ...

While this isnt good ... at the same time its not all bad as this will further emphasize becoming more streamlined .. Given the rumored pricing of the top end piledriver of $199 ... this puts it in the perspective that no matter how much better or worst the cpu is (to some peaples opinion/views) they will be able to make sales on them vs overpricing them & not making any.
Old October 19, 2012, 04:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I think they are : Vishera is coming in a few days and Steamroller in 6 months. Now, if Vishera is going 15% better at the same power envelope as Zambezi and Steamroller will be 15% better than Vishera, that will be something interesting. Not to mention they will stay on the AM3+ platform, that will be something worth upgrading from Phenom II.
Old October 19, 2012, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
I think they are : Vishera is coming in a few days and Steamroller in 6 months. Now, if Vishera is going 15% better at the same power envelope as Zambezi and Steamroller will be 15% better than Vishera, that will be something interesting. Not to mention they will stay on the AM3+ platform, that will be something worth upgrading from Phenom II.
Well I think sky pointed out something simular ..... but yes IF the preformance can go up/thermals & nm's go down in the next year while remaining compatible on AM3+ AMD could be back in the game rather quickly ...
Old October 19, 2012, 07:41 PM
Top Prospect

In other words, everybody is equally screwed because of the economy. The only difference is that AMD is small, so the financial hit is substantially more damaging compared to Intel where they have enough cash and assets to weather out the storm.
Old October 19, 2012, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoc View Post
In other words, everybody is equally screwed because of the economy. The only difference is that AMD is small, so the financial hit is substantially more damaging compared to Intel where they have enough cash and assets to weather out the storm.
I believe you sir have hit the hammer right on the head !!!