Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2012, 11:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoc View Post
In other words, everybody is equally screwed because of the economy. The only difference is that AMD is small, so the financial hit is substantially more damaging compared to Intel where they have enough cash and assets to weather out the storm.
I believe AMD is capable of making money even in this economy. They honestly have good products at good price points but over manufacturing Llano chips really killed them. They really could be making money but the continuously shoot themselves in the foot.
Old October 21, 2012, 08:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It's so bad at AMD right now, the employees are taking a cue from their Foxconn counterparts.

Here's a photo taken from the AMD ExtravaLANza (AMD Headquarters) event in Toronto on October 20th. Didn't realize it was that bad.

Sorry if I offend anyone, it's just my sick sense of humour. Honestly, when I seen that plywood over the window that was the very first thought I had.
Old October 21, 2012, 09:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

In all honesty, AMD purchasing ATI was (IMO) a major mistake.

As the underdog to Intel's massive market share and deep pockets, the last thing they needed was to open a second battle front against a company like Nvidia. Now rather than being able to focus their R&D capital solely on creating good value processors they have to look into their crystal ball to see whether it'll be procs, vid cards, or driver support which will garner them the best return.

I accept that they wanted to focus on APUs, but (again IMO) that would have been better done as a partnership rather than by taking over ATI for expertise.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; October 21, 2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: error.....
Old October 21, 2012, 09:07 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeloader1969 View Post
It's so bad at AMD right now, the employees are taking a cue from their Foxconn counterparts.

Here's a photo taken from the AMD ExtravaLANza (AMD Headquarters) event in Toronto on October 20th. Didn't realize it was that bad.

Sorry if I offend anyone, it's just my sick sense of humour. Honestly, when I seen that plywood over the window that was the very first thought I had.
Now....THAT is irony.
Old October 21, 2012, 09:10 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
In all honesty, AMD purchasing ATI was (IMO) a major mistake.

As the underdog to Intel's massive market share and deep pockets, the last thing they needed was to open a second battle front against a company like Nvidia. Now rather than being able to focus their R&D capital solely on creating good value processors that they have to look into their crystal ball to see whether it'll be procs, vid cards, or driver support which will garner them the best return.

I accept that they wanted to focus on APUs, but (again IMO) that would have been better done as a partnership rather than by taking over AMD for expertise.
I'm guessing you meant to say, "taking over ATI " in that last sentence

Old October 21, 2012, 09:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBender View Post
I'm guessing you meant to say, "taking over ATI " in that last sentence
Heh... yeah. Fixed. :)

Although maybe it was a freudian slip and I think things would have been quite different if ATI had taken over AMD....... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 21, 2012, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Heh... yeah. Fixed. :)

Although maybe it was a freudian slip and I think things would have been quite different if ATI had taken over AMD....... ;)
My 1 bud i've been friends with for years whom lives a few blocks from me said amd dropping the Ati brandname was probly the worst thing they could have done ...

Makes me wonder .... how much more PR/advertising - apealing might it have been if AMD could have said " AMD A series cpu with Ati inside " ;)
Old October 21, 2012, 10:26 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

ATI was a customer of mine before the acquisition and AMD was afterwards, and I can truthfully say that both spent money frivolously, and that is/was their major downfall, as far as I'm concerned. I also worked on ATI's financing back in their IPO days and they were far from honest in their dealings... KY thought that it was OK to lie to research analysts about projected earnings, and he also thought it was OK to put family members into high-paying positions, even if they weren't actually doing anything. Anyway, it doesn't really matter because Intel needs to keep them afloat to have a competitor and thus not face antitrust litigation, so they will continue to back door finance them.

Old October 21, 2012, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBender View Post
ATI was a customer of mine before the acquisition and AMD was afterwards, and I can truthfully say that both spent money frivolously, and that is/was their major downfall, as far as I'm concerned. I also worked on ATI's financing back in their IPO days and they were far from honest in their dealings... KY thought that it was OK to lie to research analysts about projected earnings, and he also thought it was OK to put family members into high-paying positions, even if they weren't actually doing anything. Anyway, it doesn't really matter because Intel needs to keep them afloat to have a competitor and thus not face antitrust litigation, so they will continue to back door finance them.
thats kinda a big accusation to throw out there ....
Old October 21, 2012, 11:04 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, it is a big accusation. Do you ever wonder why when AMD makes announcements like this, that they don't blame Intel?

AMD Blames China, Europe - Not Intel | Watch the video - Yahoo! Finance

And also right after Intel earnings are released that AMD automatically adjusts their forecasts? I realize that may seem somewhat spurious but what else can I say?