Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   Microsoft Surface RT Tablet Prices Announced: Starts at $499 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/57314-microsoft-surface-rt-tablet-prices-announced-starts-499-a.html)

SKYMTL October 16, 2012 11:38 AM

Microsoft Surface RT Tablet Prices Announced: Starts at $499

According to Microsoft, their upcoming Surface with Windows RT tablet will be priced at $499 but won’t come with the associated Touch Cover. If you want the iconic cover, be prepared to fork over another $100.

Read more here: Microsoft Surface RT Tablet Prices: Starts at $499, Pre Orders Underway | Hardware Canucks

botat29 October 16, 2012 11:52 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but Windows 8 RT don't support desktop applications, if so I think I'm going to go with a iPad. $ 600 is way too much for Metro crap apps.

Arinoth October 16, 2012 11:53 AM

I believe you're correct, you need the Pro version that has Win 8 on it.

SKYMTL October 16, 2012 12:35 PM

You are correct. It supports made-for-RT applications (as it isn't x86). Surface Pro however will support desktop applications. Its price though....eeeek! If RT tops out at $699 for the 64GB, expect the entry level Pro (also 64GB) to start at $799.

botat29 October 16, 2012 12:38 PM

Surface Pro,,,,,this may worth to wait for

sswilson October 16, 2012 02:13 PM

At $800 though? I don't think so. :)

ipaine October 16, 2012 03:22 PM

Not liking the prices of these. Really if they want to be a contender, they need to drop the costs about $100. So start at $399 and go from there, and even that is a little pricey for the low end.

Galcobar October 16, 2012 04:00 PM

With these prices, what's the incentive to go for a keyboard-equipped 11-inch tablet over an ultrabook?

Just had a chance to watch the ad for the Surface. Lots of pretty dancing people, treating the tablet and keyboard cover like Tetris pieces or a Stomp production, but no mention or demonstration of, uh, why you'd want one. The screen showed you the Metro interface and a few seconds of a video player. The longest image displayed on the Surface screen, of a pair of kissing senior citizens, was an amusingly dark, dull and colour-shifted image.

Apparently the big thing to know about Surface is that someone can easily swipe your keyboard and attach it to their own tablet.

JD October 16, 2012 06:31 PM

And an extra $20 premium for us Canadians.

I do agree though, overpriced for what it is. Windows RT definitely lacks the ecosystem that iOS and Android currently have, so it surely isn't worth $520. Much better off with a $200 Android tablet (or maybe the new $250 iPad Mini).

Until the full blown Surface Pro rolls out, I think I'll hold off. Even the OEM stuff coming this month doesn't really "wow" me. And when it's over $1000, it's no longer a device I can simply let collect dust per-say.

The Quicken October 17, 2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 663006)
At $800 though? I don't think so. :)

Im holding off on buying an Ultra Book until I see what the Pro Surface version can do. Im willing to to pay $800 to $1200 if its the Tablet Ive been waiting for (a pc/notebook in a tablet).

Until then im happy with my Nexus 7 :punk: