Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13, 2012, 11:24 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default ATT to restrict piracy and alert customers to violations [Engadget]

This looks like it could get interesting:
AT&T training document suggests ISPs are gearing up to beat piracy with internet restrictions -- Engadget
Quote:
A leaked document claiming to be AT&T training materials, however, suggests that the operator is about to stop talking, and start doing. According to TorrentFreak notifications will be sent out to customers on November 28th about the change in policy, with those suspected of illicit downloads receiving an email alerting them of the possible copyright infringement. We'd previously heard of a six-stage notification system, and this, too, is mentioned here with repeat offenders facing access to "many of the most frequently visited websites" restricted.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 13, 2012, 12:21 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Sounds good to me. It is fair enough that the MPAA's lawyers won't come knocking while stringent enough that it should cut down on piracy.
Old October 13, 2012, 12:31 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Sounds good to me. It is fair enough that the MPAA's lawyers won't come knocking while stringent enough that it should cut down on piracy.
Agreed, as long as there is a simple resolution process where folks can appeal earlier warnings for accessing sites by accident (ie. the intention of viewing a trailer, but instead viewing a torrent site).
Fold for team #54196
Old October 13, 2012, 09:50 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yeah having your isp monitor and restrict web pages is a great idea!! Corporate education is great, not propaganda at all!

Piracy is an issue, but so is the Orwellian amount of data that is collected on each and every one of us. Bending over to these policies that give to consideration to privacy in the name of stopping piracy is unacceptable.

Those that would trade one ounce of freedom for security deserve neither.
Old October 16, 2012, 07:54 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
Yeah having your isp monitor and restrict web pages is a great idea!! Corporate education is great, not propaganda at all!

Piracy is an issue, but so is the Orwellian amount of data that is collected on each and every one of us. Bending over to these policies that give to consideration to privacy in the name of stopping piracy is unacceptable.

+ rep i totally agree. Who would agree to this let isp monitor what sites you go on. I am glad i'm not on a.t and t. They well soon lose many customers if this happens.
Old October 16, 2012, 08:09 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post

Once again, the piracy argument gets tossed out with the laundry and replaced with a rant about privacy.

People don't seem to realize that the supposed "freedom" they speak of in this case is infringed upon due to the very nature of piracy. If no one tried to circumvent the law, big brother wouldn't have to look over my shoulder and restrict website access.

It is a vicious circle and it will only stop once people realize that large companies will do whatever it takes to secure their intellectual property.
Old October 16, 2012, 08:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It doesn't sound to me like they intend on monitoring their clients, just that they're going to have a process in place to react with access restrictions when they get a complaint from a copyright holder. They'll probably ask for a "black list" of popular pirating websites from the content holders which they can then block "offenders" from accessing.

Been a while since I commented on the topic, but I've made my opinion pretty clear in the past... don't want this to affect you? Don't pirate content.

Problem solved.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 16, 2012, 09:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The Internet treats censorship as a malfunction and routes around it. -- John Perry Barlow, retired Wyoming cattle rancher, former lyricist for the Grateful Dead and co-founder of the Electronic Frontier Foundation
Old October 16, 2012, 10:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirerogue View Post
The Internet treats censorship as a malfunction and routes around it. -- John Perry Barlow, retired Wyoming cattle rancher, former lyricist for the Grateful Dead and co-founder of the Electronic Frontier Foundation
Maybe, but piracy is why folks like myself who purchase their content can't have nice things without having to jump through ridiculous hoops to get them.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 16, 2012, 11:20 AM
Allstar

Using the privacy secondary to battling privacy analogy can be extended. How would you liek to jump through hoops to drive yourt car? have a monitor watching here you go every second and checking it against approved or disapproved destinations - all to battle car theft or <inset other heinous crime here>? It's a damn slippery slope.
One also must realize the case of the boiling frog.