Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2012, 11:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
Using the privacy secondary to battling privacy analogy can be extended. How would you liek to jump through hoops to drive yourt car? have a monitor watching here you go every second and checking it against approved or disapproved destinations - all to battle car theft or <inset other heinous crime here>? It's a damn slippery slope.
One also must realize the case of the boiling frog.
But again, that isn't what it sounds like they intend to do.

Rather than watching me drive 24/7, it's more like putting a breathaliser lock on a car after a person has been reported / caught driving drunk.

And actually, I don't in fact have a privacy problem with road or street cams watching to make sure folks are behaving themselves.

Like it or not folks, at some point the law is going to catch up with piracy by making it a lot easier for copyright holders to exercise their legal rights against individuals rather than having to take on large websites.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 16, 2012, 11:55 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I'm not sure where I stand on this. I know that piracy is becoming a major problem but I also know a lot of people that can't afford to pay for games, movies etc. I'm going to look at it from a different perspective. I find the prices for a lot of "intellectual" property are insane. I mean 20+ dollars for a movie. These people are all way overpaid (actors making millions, etc). People have a very hard time supporting this kind of insanity and I don't entirely blame them. It's a case of the rich get richer and the poor get poorer to me. If you charge a reasonable price for anything, people will pay for it. This is extra prevelent in todays economy, I'm not saying that piracy is right, because it isn't.

I'm sure there are 1000 rebuttals to my statement but I feel it 100% true, we overpay for everything nowadays and movies and games are just becoming another thing to financially drain us.
Old October 16, 2012, 01:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The IP holders ONLY HAVE THEMSELVES TO BLAME.

The gray hairs running this shitshow have not moved with the times at all.

The last time Shaw came here asking me to buy cable TV I asked them how much they were going to pay me to watch that crap. Now as it stands I actually do have cable, since they are giving it to me for free. However, when I watch "The Walking Dead" I don't watch it on TV, I download it a couple hours later from a torrent site. It's high quality, no commercials and it's damn near *when* I want.

Is that illegal? Is it wrong? I have Netflix as well..... and they can only get a hold of the first season of The Walking Dead, so that's not an option.

So I torrent the rest.

My fault? Or the gray hairs running this mess?