Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 4, 2012, 03:43 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default A 'breakthrough' in tech we may actually see soon: quantum chips [Globe]

I get a little jaded when I see yet another latest 'breakthrough' in quantum computing, but this looks pretty cool as it uses current technologies and is compatible with current electronics:
Quote:
Scientists have built a new quantum chip that will enable the creation of completely secure mobile phones and ultra-fast computers with capabilities far beyond today’s devices.

In the short term, the team are applying the technology to safe communications for mobile phones and computers, which would make online banking and internet shopping more secure. Phones could be protected against hacking attempts.

Quantum technology has long been a scientific dream. The quantum chip, made from silicon, works on light and is thousands of times smaller than the glass chips used previously. It will enable mass production of quantum technologies, leading first to secure mobile phones and eventually to ultra-fast quantum computers.

Fabricating quantum circuits in silicon has the huge advantage of compatibility with modern electronics. According to Jeremy O’Brien, physics professor at Bristol, quantum processors could be integrated with conventional microelectronic circuits within three to five years.

The new chip is made from silicon, like the microprocessors in all computers and smart phones. Unlike conventional silicon chips that work by controlling electrical current, the quantum chips manipulate particles of light, called photons, to perform calculations. A quantum computing device with 100 photons could in principle solve trillions of equations at the same time.

Because the technology uses the same silicon manufacturing techniques as conventional chips, a manufacturer can easily produce millions of quantum chips.

The new circuits are compatible with existing optical glass fibre infrastructure used in broadband communications, because they operate at the same wavelengths. “The global communications network, including the internet, is powered by fibre optics which use light to move information at high speed between countries, cities and buildings,” said Mark Thompson, deputy director of Bristol’s Centre for Quantum Photonics. “Our devices are directly compatible – in a sense they talk the same language.”

I like the looks of this TBH. Looking forward to seeing how quickly we can see this rolled out.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 4, 2012, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Could make one helluva folding rig.
Old September 4, 2012, 07:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

on the good side thats great but on a bad side it could reak havic on some countries if they get hacked because of the speed alone a program or virus or some type of command and possibly could wipe out a whole electrical grid because an older processor wouldnt see it if it was hidden inside something else
Old September 4, 2012, 08:00 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Considering silicon can only progress so far, there MUST be revolution or at the very least an evolution away from current transistor tech.
Old September 4, 2012, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think that we are slowly approaching the speed limit of copper and electrical impulses, so I would imagine that we could start seeing 'fibre-optic' type bus's motherboards for some applications in the future.
Old September 4, 2012, 08:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
I think that we are slowly approaching the speed limit of copper and electrical impulses, so I would imagine that we could start seeing 'fibre-optic' type bus's motherboards for some applications in the future.
Makes sense really. I would love to see this , and like sky says, we do need a revolution.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 4, 2012, 10:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I didnt think I would see the explotation of superpostion being used this quickly. Im curious to how they resolved the decoherance issue.
Old September 5, 2012, 09:00 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
I didnt think I would see the explotation of superpostion being used this quickly. Im curious to how they resolved the decoherance issue.
Yea.

WHAT!?