Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2012, 07:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
It's no different than Android and iOS though. They all track what you install on your mobile devices. I think that's why Windows 8 is doing it too, likely so you have a "history" in the MS Store so you can re-install your apps on other devices. Have to realize that Windows 8 was built to be a tablet IMO.
But with Android you can side load apps, so now is that info still being sent? Oh and yes you are right they have designed it to be a tablet OS, with their app store.

Old August 28, 2012, 03:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
But with Android you can side load apps, so now is that info still being sent? Oh and yes you are right they have designed it to be a tablet OS, with their app store.
True...I suppose that isn't reported, at least to the public's knowledge. At the same time though, I'm guessing nobody has investigated it either.
Old August 28, 2012, 04:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Some of us aren't all that keen on running android for that specific reason. Not that I have a lot of use for a smartphone anywise:)

The issue as a whole speaks to a mindset at all corp headquarters which is intent on pushing the envelope (or more correctly expanding it) WRT the collection of personal data.

Governments need to step up to the plate by adopting legislation mandating full informed consent for all personally identifiable (including IP) data collection. They also need to include some form of anti-"all or nothing" policy which prevents companies from using weasel tactics to circuumvent the legislation (like loan companies do with SIN numbers where they inform you that you are not legally required to provide it to them, but who's whole credit check revolves around the use of SIN for ident thus you won't get a loan without handing it over).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 28, 2012, 04:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Governments need to step up to the plate by adopting legislation mandating full informed consent for all personally identifiable (including IP) data collection. They also need to include some form of anti-"all or nothing" policy which prevents companies from using weasel tactics to circuumvent the legislation (like loan companies do with SIN numbers where they inform you that you are not legally required to provide it to them, but who's whole credit check revolves around the use of SIN for ident thus you won't get a loan without handing it over).
I think the exact opposite of your statement is what the truth actually is ;)

Governments want corps to data mine us so they don't have to. Then the government will just tell the corps that they must provide all data to them.
Old August 28, 2012, 08:13 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
That assumes that you know it's there to turn off which is the issue as opposed to how hard or easy it is to turn on/off.

Any settings dealing with privacy should be defaulted off unless the user is prompted for consent.
I'm not arguing... I just posted the link so people could know how to disable it, or at least check if they have it enabled.
Old August 28, 2012, 11:01 AM
Allstar

Quote:
One way or another, you are always being watched, monitored, and tracked. Let's face the reality. Nothing that is connected to the Internet is by any means secure. You can tunnel all you want until your connection is reduced to 56K speeds and still, if somebody wants to find you, they can and will. Ultimately there's an IP address tied to your home or device.
While this is true to a certain extent, you might be surprised just how completely one can disappear online with minimal effort (if you know what you're doing). WHile a determined "hunter" with sufficient resources could likely find you eventually it is generally sufficient to evade the mindless tracking that's becoming so pervasive.

As for 56k speed, about 60% of the world still uses dial-up. Actually I think every computer user should spend their first year on-line using dial-up. Might teach them some patience
Old August 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've got 10 years of dialup, so I'm good.

Hell, I was using 14.4 to grab shit off the interwebz before the WWW was born.

I'm not eager to go back for some reason.
Old August 28, 2012, 05:01 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I've got 10 years of dialup, so I'm good.

Hell, I was using 14.4 to grab shit off the interwebz before the WWW was born.

I'm not eager to go back for some reason.
I was using a mode 30 years ago to go on BBS boards, I got high speed only 6 years ago, so I guess I'm good too.
Old August 28, 2012, 05:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

BBS's were the original torrent hive
Old August 28, 2012, 05:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
BBS's were the original torrent hive
14.4? Hell try 300 baud :P On a Commodore 64/128!

Tags
microsoft , snooping , windows