Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 26, 2012, 08:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

time to stop letting US corporations buy in Canada then....
Old August 26, 2012, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
You guys do know that Windows 7 has SmartScreen too right?

It has the same detection to determine whether an executable you downloaded is signed or not, and if it isn't, it gives you that prompt asking if you're sure you want to run it.

It's under the guise to protect your computer, no different from all the laws and policies your government puts in place to further protect you and the community.
I read that also but the thing is I cannot find it anywhere on my system
Old August 27, 2012, 04:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I read that also but the thing is I cannot find it anywhere on my system
Pretty sure it's an option that loads with IE9, but it prompts you for permission on the first use of the browser.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 27, 2012, 04:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Pretty sure it's an option that loads with IE9, but it prompts you for permission on the first use of the browser.
Yup, but most will unknowingly just click "Recommended" which enables it.

It's even enabled at my work and is quite annoying because being in IT means you have to download a fair amount of "unsigned" executable which all get blocked and thanks to group policies, there's no way to "allow" it. Thankfully I can install and use Firefox though ;)

IE8 also has it too, just to a lesser extent. I think it only searched URLs rather than files/installers.
Old August 27, 2012, 05:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Yup, but most will unknowingly just click "Recommended" which enables it.

It's even enabled at my work and is quite annoying because being in IT means you have to download a fair amount of "unsigned" executable which all get blocked and thanks to group policies, there's no way to "allow" it. Thankfully I can install and use Firefox though ;)

IE8 also has it too, just to a lesser extent. I think it only searched URLs rather than files/installers.
And that's the rub right there.... Whether folks make informed decsions about its use is up to them, but at least in this case they are asked to provide permission.

I know most folks these days don't give too figs about this kind of stuff because it seems like every service comes with this kind of penalty, but some of us still value our personal data and refuse to easily hand it over, especially for free.

I don't mind the corps data mining me, but they'd better damn well be ready to pay through the nose for it. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 27, 2012, 12:37 PM
Allstar

Well, the only Win7 machines here are also testing machines so they're also protected. If they can't reach "home" they can't blab :) My home Windwos machien runs XP and then only for games and one or two specialty apps.

Under US law all citizens, corporate or private, are held to be within the jurisdiction of the US legal system, regardless of where they are in the world. This includes their assets (such as servers and the information they contain). Other countries have similar provisions, including Canada - though not perhaps as rigorously implemented).
Old August 27, 2012, 01:33 PM
MVP

My System Specs

SmartScreen Filter: frequently asked questions
Quote:
How do I turn SmartScreen Filter off or on?

1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.

2. Click the Safety button, point to SmartScreen Filter, and then click either Turn Off SmartScreen Filter or Turn On SmartScreen Filter.

3. In the Microsoft* SmartScreen Filter dialog box, click OK.
Old August 27, 2012, 02:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze_125 View Post
That assumes that you know it's there to turn off which is the issue as opposed to how hard or easy it is to turn on/off.

Any settings dealing with privacy should be defaulted off unless the user is prompted for consent.

Old August 27, 2012, 06:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I still don't see how people are comparing the smartscreen on windows 7 that is incorporated with IE to what is in windows 8. I mean from what I know the Windows 7 one only sends website addresses (not saying this is a good thing), whereas the windows 8 version sends information about anything you attempt to install.

That is a huge difference between the two. Also the windows 7 version does prompt you to set the security settings when you first start IE9. Of course most people just select the recommended settings but at least it prompts you. With this windows 8 feature you are not told about it and it is turned on by default. Just because we can turn it off doesn't change the fact that it should not even be on by default in the first place, or like others mentioned at least prompt about it when setting up first user and all that. Also don't forget that most people will be logging in with their windows live ID's and then everything that they install could be linked to there live ID and therefore to them.

Ah well, just another reason not to install it.

Old August 27, 2012, 07:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I don't mind the corps data mining me, but they'd better damn well be ready to pay through the nose for it. :)
It's no different than TV these days. We pay ungodly amounts to have the "service" brought into our homes, only to be bombarded with 20 minutes of ads for every hour.

As for the SmartScreen concerns, I think it's for the general population to help prevent people from unknowingly installing malware and such. Likewise, that's why Security Essentials (now Defender) is included within too. MS is trying to become a more "secure by design" OS to clean up it's brand. I would say it's beneficial in the end, but for us more "experienced" users, it's obviously concerning to have data being transmitted.

It's no different than Android and iOS though. They all track what you install on your mobile devices. I think that's why Windows 8 is doing it too, likely so you have a "history" in the MS Store so you can re-install your apps on other devices. Have to realize that Windows 8 was built to be a tablet IMO.

One way or another, you are always being watched, monitored, and tracked. Let's face the reality. Nothing that is connected to the Internet is by any means secure. You can tunnel all you want until your connection is reduced to 56K speeds and still, if somebody wants to find you, they can and will. Ultimately there's an IP address tied to your home or device.

Tags
microsoft , snooping , windows