Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 25, 2012, 01:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I hate the old " if you have nothing to hide" crap, this is almost the same as having a semi hidden Camera in every street corner with out having a vote or say in the matter . I think that if microsoft wanted to go that route they should do it similar to the way the Linux based OS does only using the Keys, you install the base system and add in what you want .
Old August 25, 2012, 03:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
More importantly....why would grandma be installing warez? If the kids are smart enough to 'give' ol granny some extra software....they will be smart enough to turn it off. Hell I fully expect most groups to start releasing 'fixes' that before they fix a program....they scan and turn off this abortion.

Honestly, this aint about "OMFG they will know my kinks" its just another ham-fisted MS attempt to stop malware in its tracks. It will fail at that too. MS doesnt give a rats ass what you install (as long as its NOT there kit you are 'installing'). The man hours to sift through all that shite...yeah this just scare tactics by an author who wants page hits and to get on the 'me too" bandwagon.
Sorry but my 50 year old mom puts stuff on her computer she shouldn't. And kids can easily install stuff and not have a clue.
Old August 25, 2012, 11:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The only reason for me to move to win 8 is it's new file system and ability to properly recognize 3TB+ HDDs.
Old August 26, 2012, 05:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
I'll hold my judgement until release day, but right now ubuntu 12.04 LTS looks very appealing.
Yep I do the majority of my web browsing, shopping, and finance stuff on Ubuntu 12.04 so it's harder to install a drive-by "plugin" - haven't had a problem since its release. Note however that Ubuntu also asks you about an app popularity survey, although it doesn't allow you to use Software Centre until you say yes or no to it.

On my Win8 laptop, I guess Microsoft will find out that I use Visual Studio with Kinect Studio, MS Office, LibreOffice, and Firefox I'm sure Internet Explorer 6-9 leaked more information than that with the default settings.
Old August 26, 2012, 08:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
The only reason for me to move to win 8 is it's new file system and ability to properly recognize 3TB+ HDDs.
Both are invalid arguments to install Windows 8 due to the fact Windows 7 can work with 3TB+ drives just fine and nobody will want to use a new filesystem due to incompatibility issues
Old August 26, 2012, 08:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I am not in any rush to move to Win 8. I ran XP till Windows 7 came out.
Old August 26, 2012, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Yep I do the majority of my web browsing, shopping, and finance stuff on Ubuntu 12.04 so it's harder to install a drive-by "plugin" - haven't had a problem since its release. Note however that Ubuntu also asks you about an app popularity survey, although it doesn't allow you to use Software Centre until you say yes or no to it.

On my Win8 laptop, I guess Microsoft will find out that I use Visual Studio with Kinect Studio, MS Office, LibreOffice, and Firefox I'm sure Internet Explorer 6-9 leaked more information than that with the default settings.
I think that it isn't Internet explorer that is leaking info it is anything that accesses the web because I am very sure that the web security in IE is actually a shortcut and not just in IE becasue you can access the same security through the control panel and advanced security area that is if I remember properly
Old August 26, 2012, 03:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclocking.ca View Post
I am not in any rush to move to Win 8. I ran XP till Windows 7 came out.
That was basically my rule of thumb. Adopt a generation then skip a generation. 7 Works fine for me.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 26, 2012, 06:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You guys do know that Windows 7 has SmartScreen too right?

It has the same detection to determine whether an executable you downloaded is signed or not, and if it isn't, it gives you that prompt asking if you're sure you want to run it.

It's under the guise to protect your computer, no different from all the laws and policies your government puts in place to further protect you and the community.
Old August 26, 2012, 07:05 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
T.....the fact that MS's servers are physically located in the US.

The current mindset of the US government (across all parties) does not place a high value on personal privacy, and any information we send to MS will be made available to US authorities if they request it.

That's the issue.
Apparently with the "patriot act" the US gouv. can even come to get info to any servers in Canada ( or anywhere in the world) own by a US company.

Tags
microsoft , snooping , windows