Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2012, 07:39 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The worst part is that these bullshit rulings validate an absolutely broken US patent system.

I've been reading the updates on Verge and my mouth has been hanging open ever since. It is unreal....

Personally though, I really think that in the next few years this will come back to haunt EVERYONE. This really is the doomsday scenario come true for the US phone market.
Old August 24, 2012, 07:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is surprising because...? Jurors were probably Apple slaves.

Oh it'll definitely affect Canada and the rest of the world all right.
Old August 24, 2012, 08:26 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Sure glad they got that very complex decision made in time for the weekend

Lots of time for a joint and a drink!
Old August 24, 2012, 09:48 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Actually, I was thinking. Samsung should really stick it to Apple.

They have AT LEAST five weeks before any bans can take effect.

Liquidate phone inventories and sell them at a loss instead of not being able to sell them at all after that point. Put EVERY possibly banned phone down to $0 with a 2 year contract. Not only will that keep sales out of Apple's hands but it will also (almost) guarantee that for the next two years, the people that buy won't be buying an Apple product. Basically, start selling like a used car salesman and get as many people totting Samsung handsets as possible.
Old August 24, 2012, 09:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Anyone else feel sick to their stomach with all this, Apple is truly the most evil creation of man and a destroyer of innovation. Why is this ok? Why is it fine to destroy the American dream just cuz you have a huge legal division?

Apple is a company that makes me depressed to be born in the same state as their HQ. I hope the fanboy's in the US patent and court system get whats coming to them and that Apple fails miserably with the iPhone 5 and the world realizes they are just a rip off company.

If you need me the link above is where I spend my days now
Old August 24, 2012, 09:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Actually, I was thinking. Samsung should really stick it to Apple.

They have AT LEAST five weeks before any bans can take effect.

Liquidate phone inventories and sell them at a loss instead of not being able to sell them at all after that point. Put EVERY possibly banned phone down to $0 with a 2 year contract. Not only will that keep sales out of Apple's hands but it will also (almost) guarantee that for the next two years, the people that buy won't be buying an Apple product. Basically, start selling like a used car salesman and get as many people totting Samsung handsets as possible.

That right there is a great idea.

As for the decision it really doesn't surprise me. I mean you pull jurors from the same crumbling economy that gets a bunch of jobs directly from Apple and you will not get an impartial group. Also, the rumors about how they just wanted to finish before the weekend would not surprise me at all. Seriously what the hell were they thinking? Oh yea they weren't thinking.

Old August 24, 2012, 10:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I am genuinely surprised by this..... 10+ years ago the govt took MS to court for having a monopoly.... Now they are trying to help apple get one.... WTF?

So should IBM be suing everyone because they had the first smartphone (simon)... #^ck it, maybe benz should sue all of the automakers since they have the first four wheled gas powered car.... Competition is necessary for innovation and inflation control.
Old August 24, 2012, 10:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here is a response from Samsung:

Quote:
"Today's verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices. It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies. Consumers have the right to choices, and they know what they are buying when they purchase Samsung products. This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple's claims. Samsung will continue to innovate and offer choices for the consumer."

Old August 24, 2012, 10:14 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Ugh. I logged in to the internets for this news today. Jury was pulled from silicon valley too.
Fold for team #54196
Old August 24, 2012, 10:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

It's a little sad that an American company is driving me to buy my next phone from a Korean manufacturer because I believe in innovative, free-market principles typically espoused by America.