Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2008, 04:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Overclockers push 8-core Skulltrail to 6 GHz: Dual-socket overclocking confirmed

Las Vegas (NV) When Intel released its Skulltrail platform, the main focus of this extreme computing platform was on overclocking capabilities. Dual-socket motherboards traditionally have not been a prime target for overclocking anyway, so this was an interesting proposition from Intel anyway. Now we know that Skulltrail has lots of headroom.

Quote:
Originally posted in TG Daily
Overclocking with advanced air-cooling can take Skulltrail from 3.2 GHz to 4 GHz. 4.5 GHz is reportedly manageable with a modest water-cooling system. Not surprisingly, there is a lot more capability in this platform if take an extreme Skulltrail a bit more extreme.
Read more...
Old April 17, 2008, 04:17 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

i mean, if your going to post this as news, take the ten minutes to write up a blurb and link directly to Vince's post at XS. why post a link to a story that posts a link to the actual event? no offense but these 'news' sites that get hits because people post to them instead of the actual event kind bugs me. i mean, its not like they are reporting on actual news that happened in the real world that people can't visit directly...they simply are reporting about a forum post. skip them and go to the forum post...

Skulltrail breaks 6Ghz by K|ngp|n - XtremeSystems Forums
Old April 17, 2008, 04:22 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Why do I have a funny feeling that this record will go on to pimp Nvidia cards.... ;)

I can see the post on EVGA's website: Kingpin breaks 3DMark World Record with (insert EVGA card here) and 6Ghz Skulltrail.

Should be interesting though....
Old April 17, 2008, 04:29 PM

thats exactly how it will go down and there is nothing wrong with it. backing like he gets couldn't happen to a better guy IMO...and his pot designs don't set the standard for the community...they are the standard.
Old April 17, 2008, 04:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3oh6 View Post
i mean, if your going to post this as news, take the ten minutes to write up a blurb and link directly to Vince's post at XS.
Simply trying to pass on some interesting news, not trying to pass it off as my own reporting. Notice the label" Originally posted in TG Daily"
Old April 17, 2008, 05:04 PM

I post prewritten news all the time. Whats the reason for rewriting something that is already written? That's the point of news sites, they write news. When you watch the news at 5 do you run down to where the story was and film your own too?
Old April 17, 2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I post prewritten news all the time. Whats the reason for rewriting something that is already written? That's the point of news sites, they write news. When you watch the news at 5 do you run down to where the story was and film your own too?
no, you can't, because it has happened already. a forum post you can. the OP linked to a post that linked to a thread where Charles reported on the actual event. don't you find that a little silly? why wouldn't you simply link to the thread where Charles reported on the event?
Old April 17, 2008, 05:37 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

One way or another it is VERY interesting news so let's stay on topic.

Thanks for posting it Stoanee.
Old April 17, 2008, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default huge oc

Is this some kind of special pair of chips supplied by Intel to generate buzz around the release of skulltrail?...Seems like every-time a new chip comes out these monster ocs on them are reported using fairly standard methods which dont seem to be replicated by the masses---- either way very impressive.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old April 17, 2008, 07:10 PM
MVP
F@H

I don't think 1.9v and using 300L of LN2 to cool a system is standard for the masses! I wish I had access to that much coolant.

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD