Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 8, 2012, 02:12 PM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default John Carmack Dismisses Valve’s Linux Aspirations, Cautious on Windows 8

John Carmack’s keynote at Quake-Con was marked with skepticism about both Valve’s Linux aspirations, and the future of Windows.

Read more here: John Carmack Dismisses Valve’s Linux Aspirations, Cautious on Windows 8 | Hardware Canucks

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old August 9, 2012, 07:39 AM
Top Prospect

“It’s great that people are enthusiastic about it, but there’s just not nearly as many people that are interested in paying for a game on the [Linux] platform and that just seems to be the reality,” said Mr. Carmack to conference attendees.

So make games available on both Windows and Linux if you purchase it?
Old August 9, 2012, 08:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by akirez64 View Post
“It’s great that people are enthusiastic about it, but there’s just not nearly as many people that are interested in paying for a game on the [Linux] platform and that just seems to be the reality,” said Mr. Carmack to conference attendees.

So make games available on both Windows and Linux if you purchase it?
Windows has the larger user base for gaming then Linux. Why do you think mac people run boot camp for? Cause their *nix system can't play games properly
Old August 9, 2012, 10:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

to be honest the only reason I use windows instead of Linux is because of gaming, I used to duel boot both Linux and windows but there isn't any real reason to do so . Now I just use windows for everything. if they did make the games run on both win and Linux I would definitely use Linux. I remember when I first started PC online gaming , I would play Wolfenstein Enemy Territory in windows but then I tried in in Linux and I was getting better frame rates and smoother playing I am not sure why that was but I always played ET in Linux after that.