Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2012, 06:38 PM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default Acer to Microsoft: Reconsider the Surface Tablet

Microsoft’s move into tablets with the upcoming Surface slate is emblematic of the ruinous alliance between OEMs and Microsoft, according to Acer’s chairman and chief executive.

Read more here: Acer to Microsoft: Reconsider the Surface Tablet | Hardware Canucks

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old August 8, 2012, 04:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Don't see how this is any different than Google producing Nexus devices. All the OEMs still survive.
Old August 8, 2012, 06:15 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Don't see how this is any different than Google producing Nexus devices. All the OEMs still survive.
The difference is that MS can see Apple running with another model that is giving them incredible flexibility. Apple can sell their OS upgrades for $25, its almost pointless to pirate OS X. Add that companies like Acer pushed out Vista PCs with half the RAM that was really needed to run it helping to turn a desktop OS into a punchline.

There are good reasons for MS to keep with the OEMs but I can see how they are nervous.
Old August 8, 2012, 08:03 AM
Allstar

Long therm Microsoft plan is to remove the PCs from the market and offer rented services ( software) true their cloud terminal devices. They want to have the absolute control on all hardware and software.
Old August 8, 2012, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would bet money that the majority of PC users out there could care less what the OEM's have to say and will fall on a sword for Microsoft when told to do so. No doubt in my mind this will not only go well for Microsoft, they will further their stanglehold on the PC. It's all downhill from here for the mass market. The time to learn Linux/other OS is NOW before Google starts filtering those results out for Microsoft.
Old August 8, 2012, 11:33 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

so many thin fold hat i see lol
Old August 8, 2012, 05:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think all this really means is that OEMs need to step up their game in order to compete with MS's offerings. I don't think MS is going to undercut the market as they'd lose a ton of money, both directly (if they sell the tablet at a loss) and indirectly (if all the OEMs stop supporting MS). The Surface is the "benchmark" device IMO. Everything else will obviously be compared to it, so they better do something better than it if they want consumers to chose their model over MS's.

As far as I'm aware, MS is only offering 2 tablets, the Windows 8 RT model which is due out in October and the Windows 8 Pro model which is due in Q1 2013. That leaves the entire desktop and laptop market wide open to OEM's to innovate. There were quite a few interesting laptop designs displayed during the Windows 8 press conferences for example.

But yeah, the whole computer as we know it is facing some major changes next year. Obviously there will be those who adopt it and those who resist. No different than any other Windows release
Old August 8, 2012, 11:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Mr. Wang sounds like a dick.

I think there is an open niche for productivity tablets. IE: One that works well with MS office and is simple to sync documents and can be easily used for presentations.

With the tech landscape changing from expensive software to cheap/free software with ads and data collection MS needs to make money somehow. It used to be that most people/families would shell out a few hundred dollars every few years for windows, MS office and MS games, but more and more people are turning to free services like Google docs, gmail, smartphone games etc...
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011