Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 1, 2012, 06:01 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herne View Post
Plus no Gmail man
That was terrible-ly funny and I hope that advertising guy at MS got fired. It was just dripping sad desperation. Can't tell me hotmail doesn't snoop. I will go play with the outlook.com just to see if its decent.
Old August 1, 2012, 06:34 AM
Allstar

Another metro crap forcing peoples to have a Microsoft email account. Another step to kill the pc and move to cloud terminal with all software rented from Microsoft.
Old August 1, 2012, 07:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
Another step to kill the pc and move to cloud terminal with all software rented from Microsoft.
That is the foundation of Windows 8 along with their Surface Tablet and Office 365. The majority of users simply don't need a quad-core beast sitting at their desk anymore.

From a business POV, it makes perfect sense. Rather than worrying about licenses and piracy, provide the services yourself rather than letting people "host" it for you on their own devices. Then you force people to buy the service from you as there's no other way to use your product. Granted as a consumer, I don't like that at all, but nobody is telling you that you need to use Windows/Microsoft products.

Ever since getting my Nexus 7, I've come to see why most people don't need a desktop PC anymore. I can do 75% of my leisurely computing on it (aka media consumption). Though of course, I do prefer a keyboard for any substantial typing activities.
Old August 1, 2012, 08:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Yes, but can it do pop protocol so that we can use a real email addy?

My understanding is that W8 is not going to have the ability to download live mail as an outlook replacement. Looks like thunderbird is going to have a resurgance.
I tied my new outlook.com email addy to my smartphone, so if what you're asking is remote ability of email without the outlook.com interface the answer is; yes you can. Looks like it is still using the m.hotmail.com URL to get email from, and maybe until they push updates to the DNS to change it to outlook.com? We shall see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I'm curious to how this would work, I can sign into it with my Live account, which happens to be my gmail account. Can I send/receive mail here, if so with what email address? (I can log into outlook.com with my gmail and see I've gotten the "welcome email")
Sam, as you said, you can tie them all together. hotmail.com is a separate folder in my outlook.com client, and (so microsoft says) they wont be discontinuing it from pushing emails from my hotmail address to my outlook address. I would imagine it will be the same with your gmail/outlook/hotmail. Beyond what it'll actually -send- emails with (gmail, outlook, etc) I have no clue. Maybe its like my smartphone and I can select which service to send from?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about