LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26, 2012, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
$70 a month. (without TV)

That's the same price that I pay for 50Mbps and 400GB Limit. I feel like I'm getting screwed!

Canadians get screwed with Internet and with Cell Phones! Grrr!
Americans are getting screwed just as bad (before this Google fiber), and this is only launching in one city.

I'm wondering how they are paying for the licenses for these channels and still able to turn a profit for only $50 a month. Channel line up is decent. As for this coming to Canada I'm sure they'd have to jump through hoops to get past the CRTC, but we'll see. It's only just launching in ONE city in the US so it will still be a long time before it makes its way out here.

Arinoth, Shaw has 250mbps available in some locations and has been trialing gigabit fiber in a couple of cities for over a year.
Old July 26, 2012, 02:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
What are the fastest speeds available right now in Canada?

Could have sworn Bell Aliant out here had 150 Mbps down, 30 or 50 Mbps up, for about 150$ a month capless.
Shaw offers 250mbit down and then fiber of some sort in Alberta, I believe.

GAH! NINJA'D!

Headshot, make a work order so I can get 250mbit at my house now, mmmmkay? thx.

Last edited by Perineum; July 26, 2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: NINJA'D!
Old July 26, 2012, 02:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

These prices are a prime example of why the CRTC has to let in foreign ISPs and Wireless Providers. There are only so many players in this country, so competition is stifled. For example, for internet here in Manitoba, there are two providers. Shaw and MTS. Hardly what I would call a competitive market. That being said, we seem to get treated a whole lot better than you folks in Southern Ontario. I wonder if that's because the population here in Manitoba is so much lower that the two companies have to compete for a lot fewer clients. Whereas in Toronto ISPs can meet their 'quotas' a lot easier because of the vastly increased population?

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old July 26, 2012, 03:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Shaw offers 250mbit down and then fiber of some sort in Alberta, I believe.

GAH! NINJA'D!

Headshot, make a work order so I can get 250mbit at my house now, mmmmkay? thx.
lolol Not working there anymore, no can do :P
Old July 26, 2012, 05:24 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm with rogers, 75mbps down, 1mbps up 150gb cap, same price as google's 1/1gbps unlimited plan.
Old July 27, 2012, 12:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Americans are getting screwed just as bad (before this Google fiber), and this is only launching in one city.

I'm wondering how they are paying for the licenses for these channels and still able to turn a profit for only $50 a month. Channel line up is decent. As for this coming to Canada I'm sure they'd have to jump through hoops to get past the CRTC, but we'll see. It's only just launching in ONE city in the US so it will still be a long time before it makes its way out here.

Arinoth, Shaw has 250mbps available in some locations and has been trialing gigabit fiber in a couple of cities for over a year.

Forget about the CRTC Google can jump hoops all day with them in the end it is BELLs decision who can sell what in soviet Canada