Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 14, 2008, 12:25 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Do what Apple did, build in a basic virtual machine ware to run old proggies in their own little sandbox. Would be seamless to the end user and allow programmers time to update their code to the "new" way of doing things. Heck MS already OWNS a fricking VMware like program so it would be EASY for them to do it!
Something of the sort is in the works already. Vista was the first step towards it, to work nicely with Vista, programs need to have fewer requirements for admin access, and have less access to low level OS and hardware functions.
Old April 15, 2008, 06:44 PM
Top Prospect

Vista was a pretty major change, and Windows 7 will probably be even more so.
Old April 15, 2008, 07:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdf22 View Post
Vista was a pretty major change, and Windows 7 will probably be even more so.
Vista was to MUCH of a change which is why a lot of people aren't adopting it.

Unless they bring a lot of stuff back into 7 that is similiar to XP nobody will use it either.

One thing that annoys me is the fact "Classic" is gone! Yes I'm aware it "exists" in Vista but its not the same as it should be.

Classic in vista is areo turned off with no fancy graphics; Classic to me is Win2k
Old April 16, 2008, 04:17 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Classic in vista is areo turned off with no fancy graphics; Classic to me is Win2k
What exactly do you mean here?
Old April 16, 2008, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Microsoft deliberately designed the User Account Control prompts in Windows Vista to annoy people, the company admits – but there’s a good reason for it.

I got this from another forum. My comment is why is MS having average Joe computer user, that can barely set their desktop background or know what a Flash plug-in is for, decide on what should and shouldn't be running on their computer, and furthermore, nagging developers about needing admin privileges to run their apps?

Windows Vista UAC Meant To “Annoy Users” - Computing News - Digital Trends

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old April 16, 2008, 07:05 AM
MVP
F@H

One of the reasons why I don't like vista. Yes I understand that average Joe or Jane may not be able to decide...but at least give people like us the option to turn off those damn prompts. Especially if we're in an ADMIN account.

Sometimes its good to have programs that need low-level access, and I really hate having to type in the same password again, again and again, especially after I logged into the admin account. I can't believe they did that purposefully.

Not quite sure where the stats in the article come from, but I know one we can all agree on: UAC prompts annoy 100% of users.

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD
Old April 16, 2008, 07:36 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cipher View Post
but at least give people like us the option to turn off those damn prompts.

:p
Old April 16, 2008, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
What exactly do you mean here?
Turn on Classic in Vista and compare it to XP or Win2k .. and you'll see what i mean.
Old April 16, 2008, 10:06 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Turn on Classic in Vista and compare it to XP or Win2k .. and you'll see what i mean.

Can't say I do, looks pretty similar to me other than some higher resolution icons.
Old April 16, 2008, 10:20 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post

Can't say I do, looks pretty similar to me other than some higher resolution icons.
Hrm.. ok..

Well it still feels wrong using it like that in Vista