Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2012, 02:05 PM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default Is Seagate Looking to Up Its SSD Game with OCZ Acquisition?

Industry sources that have spoken to Fudzilla say that Seagate, who has notoriously struggled in the SSD game, is apparently in acquisition talks with OCZ.

Read more here: Is Seagate Looking to Up Its SSD Game with OCZ Acquisition? | Hardware Canucks

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old July 22, 2012, 10:35 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Blind aquiring the blind........
Heatware
Old July 22, 2012, 11:31 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

God no crazyea. This would be EXCELLENT for consumers. Imagine a 750GB Momentus XT....BUT with a Everest 2 controller on it. Or better still a 3.5" 3TB Hybrid with say 32GB (or 64GB) NAND and a Everest 2 controller (ie a Vertex 4 640GB drive paired to a 'cuda 3TB). IF OCZ is going up for sale....Seagate would be a great fit for us consumers. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 22, 2012, 11:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Take the track records of both companies over the past few years. That alone makes me worry. Now, if someone put their foot down and said no more shenannigans on firmwares, compatibilty, and peace of mind with longer warranties and better reliability I would be on board.

That being said, there was a time when I only bought Seagate Hd's. The past few years I only went WD. Now I have waited long enough for the blacks to come in a 3tb flavor at a decent price. I am sitting here with my fingers crossed that these two 3tb seagates will not fail me!
Heatware
Old July 22, 2012, 01:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
Take the track records of both companies over the past few years. That alone makes me worry. Now, if someone put their foot down and said no more shenannigans on firmwares, compatibilty, and peace of mind with longer warranties and better reliability I would be on board.

That being said, there was a time when I only bought Seagate Hd's. The past few years I only went WD. Now I have waited long enough for the blacks to come in a 3tb flavor at a decent price. I am sitting here with my fingers crossed that these two 3tb seagates will not fail me!
You sure are biased towards brands... been running seagate for years have a 8 year old 320GB in my system still purrs like a kitten...also runs cooler/quieter then my WD green 1TB drive.
Old July 22, 2012, 01:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Uh yeh. I guess so, but rather performance than brand. How many here did the same thing with Intel/AMD or Nvidia/AMD?

I used Seagate until WD had a better performing product, then WD until Seagate had a better product. I scattered a few hitachis in there somewhere. Never had a chance to buy the samsungs as they were already out of the market.

As for SSD's, I have had Vertex 2's, a RevoDrive X2, Corsair GT's, and Intel 520's.

None of this can hide the disaster Seagate faced with their poor drive firmware that bricked a bunch of drives and killed customer data. Same can be said for OCZ, except they also tried to pull a fast one over on their customers.
Heatware
Old July 22, 2012, 02:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
Uh yeh. I guess so, but rather performance than brand. How many here did the same thing with Intel/AMD or Nvidia/AMD?

I used Seagate until WD had a better performing product, then WD until Seagate had a better product. I scattered a few hitachis in there somewhere. Never had a chance to buy the samsungs as they were already out of the market.

As for SSD's, I have had Vertex 2's, a RevoDrive X2, Corsair GT's, and Intel 520's.

None of this can hide the disaster Seagate faced with their poor drive firmware that bricked a bunch of drives and killed customer data. Same can be said for OCZ, except they also tried to pull a fast one over on their customers.
Seagate was also willing once they knew what the hell was going on to try and recover data for people for FREE. To me that says volumes despite the issue and that firmware issue only affected a certain percentage of drives that no longer has such an issue.

As I stated in another thread each manufacturer has had issues with drives... Hitachi was the deathstars, WD was the green fiasco and Seagate the firmware debacle.

Say what you want but Seagate drives are awesome and I have a .9 series running in my HTPC and although its a slow turd its reliable.
Old July 22, 2012, 03:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Dude. I have 2 - 3TB Seagates. I sm hoping that I dont come into any of these issues. Thats all.
Heatware
Old July 22, 2012, 03:57 PM
Allstar

Well I hope Seagate will improve OCZ's RMA service. After sending a set of DDR2 RAM back 3 times I pretty much gave up on OCZ.
Old July 22, 2012, 04:27 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I got burned years ago over (IIRC) 20 sticks of ram w/ OCZ. I have yet to have ANY problems with the 'new' OCZ. Honestly, OCZ is very good about RMAs when it comes to SSDs. Might want to give them another chance....or not. Im brand agnostic when it comes to storage and you have to have peace of mind when it comes to $$$ purchases like an SSD. :)

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr