Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2012, 12:58 AM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default At the RIM Annual General Meeting, an Air of Uncertainty

The applause flowed following question after question; The applauding wasn’t a reception for a thoughtful, insightful, or clever answer from the lot of executives gathered on stage but rather served as a barometer of the spitefulness of the question asked. A shareholder who took the microphone near the stage wished the CEO well, but remained “very critical” of the direction he was taking the company was met with a bout of particularly thunderous applause.

Welcome to the Research in Motion annual general meeting.

Read more here: At the RIM Annual General Meeting, an Air of Uncertainty | Hardware Canucks

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old July 11, 2012, 06:35 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

RIP RIM; they're done, BB10 which was possibly going to just catch up to the competition is now going to be way too late.
RIM should just call it quits and sell of their services to the highest bidder and bow out cause they don't know how to compete in today's telecom world.
Old July 11, 2012, 07:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

WHy in the world does everyone seem to want RIM to die? Don't you people realize you will take out a major competitor that offers something the others cannot: security. Everyone loves Google and Android so much yet noone wants to come to the reality that they are d by the MAJOR data miners and are sponsored by the NSA. Apple is just evil and relishes charging the Applites double for everything. With MS getting ready for a jump into the market in a big way, we NEED RIM.

But I guess it is just easier to kick someone when they are already on the floor. THe real problem is people pissing and moaning about stocks when stocks are NEVER a short term investment. When RIM dies we lose hope in a truly independent and secure cell phone company. The others will not think twice to turn over whatever information the government desires.
Old July 11, 2012, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^^ this

I am still willing to wait for the BB10. I will not buy an apple or android device. Not safe.period.
Old July 11, 2012, 07:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
WHy in the world does everyone seem to want RIM to die? Don't you people realize you will take out a major competitor that offers something the others cannot: security. Everyone loves Google and Android so much yet noone wants to come to the reality that they are d by the MAJOR data miners and are sponsored by the NSA. Apple is just evil and relishes charging the Applites double for everything. With MS getting ready for a jump into the market in a big way, we NEED RIM.

But I guess it is just easier to kick someone when they are already on the floor. THe real problem is people pissing and moaning about stocks when stocks are NEVER a short term investment. When RIM dies we lose hope in a truly independent and secure cell phone company. The others will not think twice to turn over whatever information the government desires.
The thing is RIM is doing this to themselves by having nothing really innovative or leading the pack for a few years now. They currently have no product out right now or coming out soonish that would cause the average consumer to purchase their item. The ONLY thing that's keeping them afloat right now is their business enterprise stuff and that's slowly been whittling down as companies have moved towards Apple or Android.

I'd like to see RIM not burn to the ground, I enjoyed working for them 2 summers ago and they treat their employees quite well. I am though aware if you don't have anything that's equal to or better then your competitor you become irrelevant and can go out of business this way.
Old July 11, 2012, 07:46 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I don't want them to die, but they're not doing anything to stay alive.
I work in this industry, and I've seen them take a serious nose dive and they've done absolutely nothing to try to get out of the rut they are in.
And don't get me started on Apple, can't stand their business practices or their products.

Android and WP on the other hand have great products and I support them and hope they both do well.
Old July 11, 2012, 08:32 AM
MVP

Default They Are Kidding Right?

If anything, RIM has just shown the world why it is failing. All the "Changes" have done nothing but institute "More of the same" policies and will ensure a continued downward spiral of this once great company. Even if BBOS 10 turns out to be great, what are RIM's plans to win back all those lost customers who have migrated to more well established and equally appealing platforms? I don't want to see RIM die which would remove a once competitive force in the already shrinking market but they are their own worst enemy.

RIM let me put this as clearly as I can, no one is waiting! To make it worse all existing customers even with recently released handsets, the Torch for example, will be left out of BBOS10 further alienating your user base.
By the time BBOS10 is released it will have to compete with the likes of IOS6, Windows 8 Mobile & Android 5. Not to mention all the advanced handsets that are and continue to be released at a blistering pace specially in the Android powered environment.

“I will not deliver a platform to market that is not ready to meet the needs of our customers,” he continued. “There will be no compromise.” Nice statement but by the time RIM finally releases a desirable product, what customers will be left? Without an aggressive strategy to pull them back in RIM is dead in the water, if it isn't already.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old July 11, 2012, 03:45 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

People seem to forget that while RIM is on the decline in North America and Europe, they're by far the most popular (and still growing) in the all-important markets of South America, Africa and Asia. IMO, that's their trump card right there.
Old July 11, 2012, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
People seem to forget that while RIM is on the decline in North America and Europe, they're by far the most popular (and still growing) in the all-important markets of South America, Africa and Asia. IMO, that's their trump card right there.
Yet still bleeding money everywhere... That is actually my biggest concern they still have a large world market share but they lose money like it's their job.
Old July 11, 2012, 05:42 PM
News Editor

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

For a while BRIC countries were their best performing market. Now low-cost Android smartphones/tablets are eating into that.

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks