Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2012, 05:23 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Finally a Judge That Makes Sense

It looks like there is at least one judge in the US that can see how stupid these patent wars are.

The US patent system is out of kilter - Leading judge speaks out | TechEye

Now if only his thoughts spread through out the country.
Old July 6, 2012, 05:38 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Oh for Christ's sake, don't reiterate the problem. Give us solutions!
Old July 7, 2012, 01:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Read the whole judgement which precipitated the interview, it's massive, but essentially comes down to telling the US patent office to stop issuing patents for prior art, that judges/ICC shouldn't ban products for patent violations which comprise a tiny percentage of the product's functions, that patent law should give less protection to products with such large and short-lived first-mover advantages, and most importantly that it's not the companies' fault.

The law gives them tools to attack their competitors. The company will, as a natural effect, use whatever tools it can. It's up to the political system (yes, voters included), to take those tools away if we deem them inappropriate or anti-competitive.
Old July 8, 2012, 02:41 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

This idea is spreading to the EU now as well. Hopefully in the next few years we can get this patent process repaired and get to some real tech advances without researchers having to worry about someone scooping up thier hard earned R&D or being sued for spurious reasons trying to settle. We need to hold these companies acountable for licensing violations, and not just with slap on the wrist fines but REAL punishinments, maybe losing a percentage of ALL future earnings relating to the patent (that might make them think for a mo). As a canadian I think it is much easier for us to "vote" with our money, don't support companies with practices you disagree with, after all we cannot change the American Patent system. Anyway just my little rant.
Fungi
I am lost I can't even remember my name.