Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2012, 01:11 PM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default Blizzard Apparently Banning Diablo 3 Gamers That Use WINE

According to a number of reports on Blizzard’s official forum, Diablo 3 players who game on Linux via WINE are being banned for using “unsupported third-party software”.

Read more here: Blizzard Apparently Banning Diablo 3 Gamers That Use WINE | Hardware Canucks

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old July 3, 2012, 01:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

We had a bit of this discussion in the DIII thread, and from what I've read so far on the forums I'm leaning more towards bliz on this one (surprising for me.... ;) ).

So far it looks like the "multitude" of reports have been from a few individuals spamming threads, while many more wine users have reported being able to play without any problems. This also seems to be backed up by the no-nonsense comments from bliz CMs who are usually a little less than clear in their wordings. Bashiok has pretty well come straight out and said they have clear proof of cheating from the affected wine accounts, but that their privacy policies prevent them from coming straight out to explain what the issue was in detail.

I'm putting this one in the non-event-everybody-jump-on-the-troll's-bandwagon column.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 3, 2012, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like the WINErs are most likely actually using hacks. If Blizzard tested WINE extensively, as well as the commenter on this article who said they were using WINE with D3, and have not produced any false positives then I'll believe it. Sounds like a bunch of butt-hurt cheaters trying to smear Blizzard and act like they've done nothing wrong. Reminds me of the DayZ servers being DDoS'ed yesterday, most likely from a rented out bot-net by all the script kiddies who were banned in the latest ban wave.
Old July 3, 2012, 01:40 PM
Top Prospect

Its funny how entitled cheater and hackers are. They go against the game's ToS and complain when they get banned for it.
Old July 3, 2012, 01:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoc View Post
Its funny how entitled cheater and hackers are. They go against the game's ToS and complain when they get banned for it.
That's not how the story first broke though... it initially did look like there was a problem with bliz's monitoring software (warden I believe) giving a false positive because of the underlying linux/wine. They'd had very similar problems with WOW accounts under Linux so everybody assumed it was the same issue revisited. Further "investigation" seems to point to the same few posters making all of the reports, and that they were indeed up to no good.

It's a perfect example of how mob mentality is applied to online websites... bliz hasn't helped themselves all that much WRT communicating issues surrounding DIII, but now it's gotten to the point where it's just an automatic pile-on without any fact checking.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 3, 2012, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was just about to say that since Warden is set up for Windows that it might be a false positive. I had the same thing happen to me when I was using Linux and wine playing D2LOD I had both of my cdkeys banded even though I wasn't using any hacks or spamming it happened just after they started using Warden. I would have thought that they got off of there lazy ass's and fixed the warden problem but it looks like they haven't.
Old July 3, 2012, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a question about the banning of these individuals or anyone from D3. Does this stop them from playing single player as well? I don't play D3 as it is not really my type of game, but even if it was I wouldn't play it due to the always having to be connected even for SP nature of the game. So does anyone know since this has to be online to play SP, does a ban for say cheating screw them for the single player as well?

Old July 3, 2012, 07:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes it does iPaine as it bans their battle.net account. You must log into battle.net to even play single player by yourself for D3. Hell if you have other games tied to that account none of those games can ever go online to play either (SC2 multiplayer or WoW)
Old July 3, 2012, 09:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, I'm not siding with cheaters or anything like that but that is one of the reasons why I will never get any game that forces online for single player. I guess it just goes to show that you are never buying D3, only renting it as they can shut it off whenever they want.