Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

View Poll Results: Do you think Nintendo has blundered ... AGAIN ?
Does not need a Blu ray/DVD player 14 63.64%
Should have a Blu ray/DVD player 8 36.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2012, 05:51 PM
Allstar

Default Wii U no blu ray/DVD player

In a call with investors and analysts about the Wii U, Iwata has this to say on the decision to exclude a DVD and Blu-ray player from the upcoming console:

The reason for that is that we feel that enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such that it didnít warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies.

I disagree. How much could it possibly cost to have a blu ray player anyway ?

Vote

CHEERS
Old June 5, 2012, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Considering the OEM costs, it might have forced the consoles MSRP up $20-$40 dollars.

But given Nintendo's current scenario, the lack of console features is going to hurt sales even more. This console would need to be pretty darn amazing if they don't want to go bankrupt in a matter of years.
Old June 5, 2012, 07:06 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Considering the OEM costs, it might have forced the consoles MSRP up $20-$40 dollars.

But given Nintendo's current scenario, the lack of console features is going to hurt sales even more. This console would need to be pretty darn amazing if they don't want to go bankrupt in a matter of years.
The license fee for a blue ray/dvd player has dropped substantially to just under $10 , however there is the software cost itself and I can see there point when you consider the number of units. I just don't think they can afford to take such a risk anymore. Nintendo shares have been crushed in the last year.

At least start porting there games to cell phones.

CHEERS
Old June 5, 2012, 08:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

It's not the cost of the components, it's the cost of licensing the codecs.
Old June 6, 2012, 06:24 AM
Top Prospect

Give it WiFi and USB streaming and BR/DVD is close to unneeded.
Old June 6, 2012, 08:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

^^^^^ Source of informations?

I agree with Herne though, in today's digital age, I hardly think another device to playback discs is needed.
Old June 6, 2012, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Forgive me for changing the topic a little, but I thought that Nintendo was doing okay. I don't particularly follow how well Nintendo is doing, so I don't really know, but I thought that as little as a couple of years ago the Wii was really hot stuff and one of the top selling consoles.

What happened to change that? Is Nintendo really in trouble? and how?

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old June 6, 2012, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post

Forgive me for changing the topic a little, but I thought that Nintendo was doing okay. I don't particularly follow how well Nintendo is doing, so I don't really know, but I thought that as little as a couple of years ago the Wii was really hot stuff and one of the top selling consoles.

What happened to change that? Is Nintendo really in trouble? and how?
Their initial Wii sales were good, but once Microsoft and Sony caught up to the motion controller craze the Wii was just an inferior and outdated console.

Add the earthquake in Japan, the tanking Japanese economy, and the fact that they haven't really progressed much in terms of product innovation and games - and now you have Nintendo in an extremely bad situation.

At this point the only reason why they've turned a profit a few times is because of the plummeting exchange rate on the Japanese Yen.

And to those who feel Blu-Ray is unnecessary, that may be true for the tech savvy who can figure out many ways to stream their content - but for the majority of users the lack of that extra feature can be a deciding factor in the sale. I remember my uncle only agreed to buy my cousins an Xbox because it could easily double as a complete media centre without any extra hassle.
Old June 6, 2012, 11:53 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

It is so far behind, why waste more money, I think nintendo needs to inovate something new again first, or risk going under.
Old June 6, 2012, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Honestly, their biggest competition right now has to be from the Xbox Kinect, I would think. I tried it briefly at christmas, and came away impressed. I would choose kinect over Wii anyday for the type of games that are being played with motions. Plus you have the ability to play higher end games with the Xbox anways. Seems like an easy choice to me.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;