Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
How so?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
They are actually quite rugged apart from the screens but the screens are wafer thin so how rugged can they be. Even diamond that thin wouldnt stand of to breaks. You get high quality parts in a small travel friendly package... i dont see how they are crap. Also the cooling is very good, i played 3 hours of lol on a zenbook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
They're not crap, they're inferior by design. Saying "Ultrabooks are shit my full fledged laptop has more power for the same price" isn't a fair argument when the point of the ultrabook was portability, not power.

Quite frankly Ultrabooks were a good thing for the laptop industry, as it forced them to start looking at lower power consumption ideas without sacrificing as much power as you normally would in that situation, BECAUSE people would still compare them to full fledged laptops. Efficiency is becoming a big thing now, and most people aren't going to deal with power hungry machines anymore, but at the same time want to be able to do more when they're on the go.

And as a side note, I'm not saying the Macbook Air was shit. Aside from a few technical oversights in it's early days, it's a fine machine. It was just too expensive to warrant it's existence at the time, whether or not the "value" was appropriate for the service you got.
To me, you pay more for less is how I would simply put it. I spent $500 on my Acer 3820TG laptop and I easily get 6h battery life on it. Can play games if I want thanks to ATI switchable graphics, and it's very light at roughly 3-4lbs.
Old May 8, 2012, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
To me, you pay more for less is how I would simply put it. I spent $500 on my Acer 3820TG laptop and I easily get 6h battery life on it. Can play games if I want thanks to ATI switchable graphics, and it's very light at roughly 3-4lbs.
Like people are saying the thing with the ultrabooks is the thin and light nature of them. I know you are saying that your Acer is light but it is 3.9 pounds where the Toshiba Z830 is only 2.46 pounds and the Asus Zenbook is 2.9 pounds. Plus the Acer is 29mm thick with the Z830 comes in at 15.9mm and then the Zenbook at 9mm. So yours is "heavy and big" compared to those ones.

It is the size and weight that get peoples attention. And considering they are coming with i7's they have the power of the larger ones as well. Of course the graphics are not what you can get with the larger ones but still for the vast majority of people out there size, weight, and battery life is what rules the decision when it comes to buying a machine.

Old May 9, 2012, 06:22 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
It is the size and weight that get peoples attention. And considering they are coming with i7's they have the power of the larger ones as well. Of course the graphics are not what you can get with the larger ones but still for the vast majority of people out there size, weight, and battery life is what rules the decision when it comes to buying a machine.
Or particularly when buying a laptop. Most people don't play games. Of those that do, many don't play game these can't handle. Of those remaining who do play games, many can afford a laptop and a pc with the focus on the mobile machine to be mobile. If I am schlepping a laptop to customer sites the last thing I care about is FPS.

I overall dislike and distrust Apple, but a $799 MBA would be huge. Their biggest risk is devaluing their other products (like the $45K Jaguar X-type)
Old May 9, 2012, 06:50 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herne View Post
Most people don't play games. Of those that do, many don't play game these can't handle. Of those remaining who do play games, many can afford a laptop and a pc with the focus on the mobile machine to be mobile. If I am schlepping a laptop to customer sites the last thing I care about is FPS.
This. If you're buying a laptop for gaming, then obviously you wouldn't be looking at ultraportables to begin with.

Slimline notebook, ultrabooks, whatever the hell people want to call them, were aimed at the market of people tired of carrying around massive machines when 90% of the work they do doesn't require it. During college I would've loved going around with a much smaller laptop, considering I rarely used it for more than note taking and maybe the occational Street Fighter 3 when I was bored in class.

Are you getting less hardware for your cash? Maybe. But until they find a cheaper way of manufacturing that stuff in a very small form factor, prices will always be this way.
Old May 9, 2012, 08:43 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
This. If you're buying a laptop for gaming, then obviously you wouldn't be looking at ultraportables to begin with.

Slimline notebook, ultrabooks, whatever the hell people want to call them, were aimed at the market of people tired of carrying around massive machines when 90% of the work they do doesn't require it. During college I would've loved going around with a much smaller laptop, considering I rarely used it for more than note taking and maybe the occational Street Fighter 3 when I was bored in class.

Are you getting less hardware for your cash? Maybe. But until they find a cheaper way of manufacturing that stuff in a very small form factor, prices will always be this way.
I am hoping that amd trinity can change that perception.. With the recent release of a slew of 'sleekbooks' from hp, it might actually be possible within the year. Just waiting for some reviews to pop up soon. Imho, mobile gpus are really benefiting from the die shrink and gaming ultrabooks (as in thin and light) will be a reality soon enough.
Old May 9, 2012, 09:30 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
With the recent release of a slew of 'sleekbooks' from hp
Please don't tell me they're actually calling them sleekbooks.

Please god no.
Old May 9, 2012, 09:49 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I have a MBA 13in and while i do wish it was cheaper like others pointed out I have my desktop for its purpose and the MBA for schooling. Also with the release of kepler mobile (anyone read that acer timeline ultra review with the 640m?) looks like it might change the idea of portage gaming
Old May 9, 2012, 12:10 PM
Allstar

Quote:
They're not crap, they're inferior by design. .
I don't feel my XPS 13 Ultrabook is inferior by design, of course it's not cheap.

Last edited by botat29; May 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old May 10, 2012, 05:04 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
I don't feel my XPS 13 Ultrabook is inferior by design, of course it's not cheap.
Inferior to full fledged laptops. Doesn't mean it's a bad system. They were just designed to be smaller and less powerful. Thus, "inferior".

People could argue they prefer small form factors and longer battery life, so it's "superior" to them.

I just stand with the former.

You can say 9/10 is worse than 10/10, doesn't make 9/10 a bad score.