Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   Ice Cream Sandwich Available Now to Samsung Galaxy Users (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/53816-ice-cream-sandwich-available-now-samsung-galaxy-users.html)

Sam_Reynolds April 30, 2012 04:06 PM

Ice Cream Sandwich Available Now to Samsung Galaxy Users

Starting today, Samsung Galaxy users in Canada can download the latest Android update: Ice Cream Sandwich.

Read more here: Ice Cream Sandwich Available Now to Samsung Galaxy Users | Hardware Canucks

martin_metal_88 April 30, 2012 04:40 PM

Any info about the actual supported device list?
here it is.

Android AdvicesAndroid Ice Cream Sandwich for Mobiles & Tablets Availability Table with Dates

Sad that the first gen galaxy S can't get it while some crappier sony phone or HTC will...

Inik April 30, 2012 04:50 PM

just chatted with a Bell representative, and he said May for sure, but he doesn't have any date so far. I guess in the next couple of days we will know more

Iphikratous April 30, 2012 06:00 PM

My girlfriend is going to be super excited when she learns I can update her phone and play with ICS as she watches.

JD April 30, 2012 06:08 PM

What I'm curious of, if the LG MyTouchQ gets ICS, then will the LG Eclyspe get it too? From what I can tell they're the same phone, just different radio chipsets.

As for the original SGS not getting ICS, I don't know about you guys, but I've had ICS running on mine for quite a few months now. The SGS is truly a modder's phone, it has such an active community you're a fool if you don't at least look into it. Nightly CM9 builds can be found here: CyanogenMod Downloads

martin_metal_88 April 30, 2012 06:27 PM

Then seems that I am not a phone modder :P
I really don;t like to flash phone rom since if it goes wring it`s a good 400$ in the trash.

JD April 30, 2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 (Post 625317)
I really don;t like to flash phone rom since if it goes wring it`s a good 400$ in the trash.

Understandable, I was cautious at first but assuming "Download mode" works on your SGS, it's damn near impossible to brick it. Typically if you press VolDown+Home+Power it should boot into it.

I've got it down to a pretty straight forward process actually since I have 3 SGS's in my household and I just flashed them all to the latest CM9 over the weekend.

bissa April 30, 2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inik (Post 625277)
just chatted with a Bell representative, and he said May for sure, but he doesn't have any date so far. I guess in the next couple of days we will know more

aww, they got my hopes all up like that.
when it does come out, will the samsung kies program have the "firmware upgrade" button lit up? or is the fact that it's greyed out mean that I can't modify my phone?

chrisk April 30, 2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 (Post 625317)

You should really look into it if an official update is not coming. I would imagine its the most popular (if the S2 is not) phone out there. Lots of resources, with a high reward. I wonder if having ICS on it would help its value?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bissa (Post 625323)
aww, they got my hopes all up like that.
when it does come out, will the samsung kies program have the "firmware upgrade" button lit up? or is the fact that it's greyed out mean that I can't modify my phone?

The thing I have been reading is that this is possibly just Samsung announcing that it has been released to carriers. Could be some time yet before it ends up on our devices (I hope this is wrong of course).

enaberif April 30, 2012 10:09 PM

My girlfriend got it on her Nexus S but my Galaxy S2 does not.

Reason I hear is that since the G3 is coming out in May in most areas they don't want to release ICS to a older phone.