Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2012, 06:22 PM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default Clinton Hallahan: G4 is Killing Video Games

There’s a school of thought that points to High Times magazine as a major contributor to the continued prohibition of marijuana. As the arbiters of a certain kind of marijuana culture — the giggling, dreadlock wearing, post-hippie navel-gazing segment — they represent the face of anti-prohibitionists for better or worse. High Times presents an immature view of the average, college-aged, hippie smoker wearing hemp pants and druggy grin in front of a few ounces of OG Kush.

Read more here: Clinton Hallahan: G4 is Killing Video Games | Hardware Canucks

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old April 24, 2012, 05:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Ok first off, the beginning of the article seems hilarious when it's just written by itself.

Second off, G4 has always been the cancer that is killing vidya games. Back when there were two seperate entities (TechTV and G4), life was great. TechTV was geared towards a more mature audience, with more focus on technology and the industry at large. G4 was created with the purpose of being "The MTV of the video game community" (Despite no one wanting that except greedy executives).

Comcast didn't like the fact that TechTV was, well, good. So they dropped it from their lineup, and gave preference to G4. A few years later, they buy TechTV outright (having possibly devalued them by refusing to carry them, to make the buyout cheaper and easier). The two are merged into G4TechTV, and then a year later, TechTV is dropped from the name, and every single original show they had was cancelled, with the exception of X-Play.

The channel then took the Spike route of focusing more and more on everything BUT video games and technology. And thus, we have what we now call G4.

I would like to mention though that G4 and G4Canada are two seperate entities, and that G4Canada at least "tries" to focus more on technology nowadays, because the CRTC threatened to not renew their license if they didn't.

Edit: While I dislike how far they've strayed from their source material, I still do occationally enjoy Attack of the Show. Kevin Periera is a pretty knowledgable guy, and can be pretty likable. And ever since Olivia Munn got the boot, the quality has only gone up.
Old April 24, 2012, 05:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That pretty well sums up my feelings on G4 vrs Tech TV as well. Used to watch Tech, absolutely hate G4.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 24, 2012, 05:25 AM
Allstar

More of a plug for the people that liked TechTV it still sort of exists with Revision3. A lot of the crew that worked on techTV are involved with that site. When I was in college I enjoyed watching, but once G4 took over it just lost my attention.
Old April 24, 2012, 09:19 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I liked the article. Obviously G4 hasn't met Starcraft as SC2 has one of the most solid, down to earth and friendly communities.

Personally every E-jock I've met is a pretty normal and more often then not, an intellegent person.
Old April 24, 2012, 09:36 AM
News Editor

My System Specs

If we're being all nostalgic for TechTV in this thread, Unscrewed with Martin Sargent was the greatest talk show ever produced.

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old April 25, 2012, 03:57 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
I liked the article. Obviously G4 hasn't met Starcraft as SC2 has one of the most solid, down to earth and friendly communities.

Personally every E-jock I've met is a pretty normal and more often then not, an intellegent person.
You don't follow the League of Legends community do you? Some of the top players are nice, but a few have an unbelievely inflated ego that lets them believe they can do whatever the hell they want without getting banned for it, including being unbelievably racist, throwing games, etc.

And for the most part they're right too.
Old April 25, 2012, 07:07 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebusman View Post
You don't follow the League of Legends community do you? Some of the top players are nice, but a few have an unbelievely inflated ego that lets them believe they can do whatever the hell they want without getting banned for it, including being unbelievably racist, throwing games, etc.

And for the most part they're right too.
That's not something unique to the lol community though. Some people just lose whatever sensibility they have when they get to that level I guess. I've seen it in both CS and WoW... especially racism.