Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2008, 05:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
You sure you want to go there bub. I drive a diesel vehicle that as soon as it comes of warranty will be running home brew biodiesel. Me and my family BUILT our staggered stud construction house (IE no wall has contact w/ the outside thus heating and cooling require significantly less energy). We use ultra low CFLs 7 watt ones from Ikea and 9 watt ones....and have been since the 80s (in nfld we were part of a pilot program for off the grid lighting....man those suckers were HUGE back then!)

This summer we are (hopefully) be putting in 2-3 KW/h worth of solar panels and with in the next decade will have 10+KW/h up and running. The majority of our fruits and vegetable are grown by our neighbors and our beef & pigs are locally grown (thus no transportation cost to enviro). We grow our own chickens so that we do not need any bug spray for our area as they eat all the flies before they hatch. We let out grass grow long so as the reduce its impact on the environment.....should i go on or do you feel like getting down off your high horse yet?
I happily concede you have me beat by a bit. I can only dream of solar panels since we just don't have the funds. I do actually only use local butcher shops for my meats so other than me driving to get it there is no fuel usage as well.

What you are doing is what we all need to do to make any appreciable difference, that is my point. I just can't stand things like this when the amount of candles burned and the amount of batteries thrown away after all the parties and events causes probably more harm to the environment than the good that turning the lights off effected.

PS: I technically use an old barrel style push lawn mower to cut my lawn and I use a rain barrel to water the gardens, LOL!!! Not trying to one up you. You definitely should be proud of how you live.
Old April 1, 2008, 06:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I do actually only use local butcher shops for my meats so other than me driving to get it there is no fuel usage as well.
I personally just stick to not eating meat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
PS: I technically use an old barrel style push lawn mower to cut my lawn ...
More people should use those, not only does it mean not having to use gas or electricity but if they are old and not lubricated decently you can get some work for your body as well. We don't really have much of a lawn to mow with most of the yard being covered in trees and rocky uneven ground, so there is not much chance to use a mower of any sort aside from a "weed whacker" but even then it is rare.

Unless I am mistaken I have seen the old style push mowers being sold new in some store not too long ago though so if other forum users want one for themselves or for a friend you *should* be able to find them around.
Old April 1, 2008, 07:20 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Lee Valley In Ottawa sells an improved version of those bad boys. Definitely a great investment & not too expensive either!

Lee Valley Reel Mowers - Lee Valley Tools
Silent Reel Mower - Lee Valley Tools

And sorry about coming off to strong there, I just dislike it when people assume overclockers and anti global warming wonks like me can't be carbon neutral (not there yet but thats my dream).

On a different note I too wish people would do more REAL things and not that feel good crap. Personally I wish everyone who cares about the environment would put in a solar water heater. We built one the summer and it cut our "light" bill by a good third (cost about only $150 bucks in parts too!....not trying to one up ya either just best bang for ya buck) .

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; April 1, 2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old April 1, 2008, 07:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just a collection of some of my favourites:
I know what I am doing is right and I guarantee 110% my footprint on the environment is much lower than ANYONE else on this forum.”

I turned all my lights on and idled both my cars in my driveway just to be sure I made up for my idiot neighbors turning out lights.”

“I live my life EVERY day as efficiently as possible.”

“I do actually only use local butcher shops for my meats so other than me driving to get it there is no fuel usage as well.”

I technically use an old barrel style push lawn mower to cut my lawn and I use a rain barrel to water the gardens, LOL!!! Not trying to one up you.”

What I am stating is that we will eat up out resources and destroy the planet. That is inevitable.”

Will humans devour the resources of the planet, definitely.”

You think I am pessimistic? WRONG!”

The climate does what it wants in cycles.”

Earth day is almost as stupid as global warming.”
Old April 2, 2008, 06:46 AM
MVP
F@H

AkG I wish I could be like you and am in no way shooting you down. I want to know more which is why I am asking what I am: I thought biodiesel wasn't that good because it used alot of crop land (like ethanol, which is why grain prices are up recently and cows in the U.S. are being fed sub-standard feed, causing them to have ridiculous amounts of e.coli)

Also, I wish Canadian companies would implement a program similar to one I read about in the U.S., where consumers don't buy the solar panels, but rather rent them for 25 years, locking in their electricity price. Free installation too. Seems like a good way to bring solar to the masses, except that I'm not sure if the savings on electricity would be worth it in Canada, considering how many crappy non-sunlit days we have.

now if we had consumer windmills like the U.K. sells to residents that they can put in their backyards, we'd be set. (haven't found a Canadian one yet).

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD
Old April 2, 2008, 07:32 AM

It all depends on what the biodiesel is made from. IF you are using soybean oil...then ya it ain't that great. BUT if you are using offal rendered from say the waste of a butchering plant (one of these guys just opened up in Quebec I believe) its true Recycling! Instead of going to land fill it goes in your tank. Another "good" one is from fryer fats, I'm orginally from NFLD where Fish n Chips is damn near a daily food staple and the amount fats thrown out was astonishing. It has already been used and is no longer food grade but instead of being thrown out (or worse used in dog food....ick...rancid fats is what gives some dog food that unique stink when you first open the bag) you burn it. Biodiesle usually wont give you the same fuel economy BUT its a LOT better for the environment.

The secret to biodiesel is that Dr Diesel orginally invented the Diesel engine to burn peanut oil! So that just about ANYTHING will work in a diesel engine. Though it can be hard on moder diesel injectors (esp Bosch ones) thats why I have to wait 'till my golf TDI comes off warranty as they will NOT warranty it if I do run anything more than 5% bio...which blows.

Personally I think ethonal 85% (ala flex fuel aka Gassohol in the 70s) is useless from an enviro POV. Though if they get the cellulose based ehtanol right it would be good as it would be using the corn stalks (for example) that are now just burned by the farmer in a big old forest fire looking deal.

Please don't get the wrong idea of me, I am not some wing nut "earth first" nutter. I think that the best environemtalism is done for purely selfish reasons. I do it becasuse its good not only for the enviro but my bottom line.

Take solar heaters, easy simple device that uses the sun the preheat your hot watter, if done right and insulated right the water temp in your holding tanks doesn't drop much so instead of the water going into your electric hot water tank @ about 40-50*F it goes in at 100-140*F. Less electricty is needed to preheat it so your bill at the end of the month is less....leaving more money for tech goodies! THATs my idea of green.

I've found a wholesale of solar pannels so it will only take me 12yrs to break even on the deal, which means that in 12yrs I will no longer HAVE a light bill.....leaving even MORE money for tech goodies (notice a trend here )

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 2, 2008, 07:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hey Babrbarossa, what's the matter? Don't have anything useful to post so you figure you'll keep fanning the flames? Why not share with use what you do to actually lessen your footprint?
Old April 2, 2008, 08:55 AM

/looks around and ducks in the nearest foxhole/
b1|k1.....didn't anyone ever teach you to never piss off secretaries, Sargents , people pointing loaded weapons at you and MODS (especially SUPPER mods). All lead to a quick yet painful death. ;)

Last edited by AkG; April 2, 2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old April 2, 2008, 09:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting thread.....Attachment 1874

Last edited by stoanee; February 20, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old April 2, 2008, 11:19 AM
MVP
F@H

I'm the same way AkG, I'd rather pay to setup something to capture free energy than pay for it to be continuously delivered. I thought one needs to buy a big battery bank to store the energy on those days where there is no sun/wind? My friend uses solar panels to heat his house's water, and pool. Ends up being free and he never worries about cold water when someone flushes the toilet. But this is thread jacking so I think I'll stop.

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD