Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2008, 07:20 PM
MVP
F@H

I read an interesting paper about the learning curve we have, in regard to green house gases and whether or not we can figure out the damage it does to the environment. To accurately learn and respond to the damage that GHG's may cause to the atmosphere would require decades of pumping the gas into the atmosphere, even more than we are now.

Its surprising that it would take that long before we learn anything useful, but I like to bring it up now and then.

The fact is we just don't know if it is anthropogenic, despite all the propaganda. Are the GHGs higher than before? Yes. Is this just a cyclical pattern or anthropogenic? who knows. Is the IPCC unbiased and do they address valid critiques? No they actually ignore them and its authors are their own editors.

Just keep in mind that 30 years ago we were apparently going into an ice age.

I agree with the points made, however North America is the worst because we choose to remain the worst. Although that is debatable with the industrialization of China and India.

In the end, I would much rather see work done on reducing pollutants and more effective use of our resources.

As for hydrogen, its ridiculously volatile, and although we do have hydrogen fuel cells in use and some vehicles are on the road (Ballard Power Systems out in BC), the commercialization would require an entire overhaul of our fuel-transportation infrastructure.

C2Q Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3p | Q8400 @ 2.66ghz | Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme w. Scythe | Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 5-5-5-15-2T @ 400mhz |
BFG GTX 295 | 1.32TB WD HDDs | Corsair HX 620 W | Antec 900 | Acer 20" LCD
Old March 30, 2008, 07:56 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I did not turn off my lights to save the planet. I did it to save my wallet. I should do it more often.

Rig // PC-A7010 :: 1050W :: Rampage :: Q6600 :: 8GB :: GTX 260
X25-V :: 4x 1TB RAID-5 :: 2x 1TB RAID-1 :: 4x 1.5TB :: 1x 2TB
G15v2 :: MX-518 :: Xonar DX :: 7 Pro x64

2408WFP :: DT770/80 :: Onkyo TX-SR605 :: Klipsch RB-61 :: SVS PB10-NSD
Old March 30, 2008, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I believe volcanoes are the number one contributer to green house gases.
Also I don't think that there is such thing as an energy efficient browser except if it uses less cpu and ram. Also I don't believe that lowering the res will lower the power.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 31, 2008, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

uhh, with a CRT using black pixels uses less power than white pixels, this is exactly the issue they were doing this for and if you knew how a CRT works you would understand.
It was mentioned in that article with LCD there is no significant power decrease so I would question such a site design nowadays. It just depends what technology you are catering to.

As to if using a black search engine would help much even if everybody still used large CRTs though.. I somehow doubt we spend all that much time using the search engines to make a big impact. The people that know how to use them well do not generally require much time and many of the noobs that would benefit from them and need to spend the most time just seem to go and ask the obvious on a forum or IRC channel somewhere without ever looking for their own answer.

As for applying things further and using a dark desktop picture or screen saver.. just have your monitor use the power saving mode that they have been coming with for a while now and you will save more power than when using dark desktops or screen savers. Well, if you are one of those average users that barely use their computers that is.

In the end, with the abundance of LCD displays this is pretty much a useless argument.

Last edited by MacJunky; March 31, 2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old March 31, 2008, 10:10 AM
MVP

Blackle doesn't really work for LCDs. And people use LCDs a lot more than CRTs these days. There are other studies that found Blackle doesn't really save energy:

- Official Google Blog: Is black the new green?
- techlogg.com - Blackle energy saving claims still do not add up
- techlogg.com - Blackle vs Google power savings the final test
- The Numbers Guy : Does a Darkened Google Really Save Electricity?
Old March 31, 2008, 10:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
b1lkl1, I think some of the reason behind turning the crap in people's houses off for an hour or whatever was partly a symbolical act. It may not result in much of any reduced consumption but it sure makes a splash and gets people talking about it. (Just like it did here) It also shows that some people are willing to take such measures.

Also, if large corporations see everyone obsessing about things being "green" (and boycotting things that are not) then they might be more inclined to go "green" because it would appeal to much of the public and possibly help their bottom line.

On a side note I was not even aware of this power-less hour or whatever you want to call it so I did not take part.
Exactly thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
uhh, with a CRT using black pixels uses less power than white pixels, this is exactly the issue they were doing this for and if you knew how a CRT works you would understand.

In the end, with the abundance of LCD displays this is pretty much a useless argument.
Yup, but I still say Blackle looks bad ass and that's why I use it :D

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 31, 2008, 11:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The real issue is even as such a large symbolic gesture, it is meaningless since the only real way to change is to drastically cut use 24/7 365 days a year. I understand the whole meaning behind this, but it is just foolish since it will make no difference in the long run in peoples wasteful ways. Even if you got 1/4 of the population of North America to change their wasteful energy/resource consumption, that is still not enough. This is why I just hate feel good events like this because it lets people feel they are making a difference when in reality they made none and will never change.
Old March 31, 2008, 12:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
The real issue is even as such a large symbolic gesture, it is meaningless since the only real way to change is to drastically cut use 24/7 365 days a year. I understand the whole meaning behind this, but it is just foolish since it will make no difference in the long run in peoples wasteful ways. Even if you got 1/4 of the population of North America to change their wasteful energy/resource consumption, that is still not enough. This is why I just hate feel good events like this because it lets people feel they are making a difference when in reality they made none and will never change.
Then I guess we should all just shoot ourselves or maybe blow the whole planet up today and just get it over with since there is absolutely no hope in heaven or hell to make any difference what so ever or even try to elevate people's awareness or maybe instill better values in our children and grandchildren than our parents and us were raised with.

Who's With Me?!

Why bother right. Why bother looking for a cure for cancer, there clearly isn't one? Why bother cleaning my house, it's just going to get dirty? Why bother with defending human rights when China is clearly in violation of so many and has International support? Why bother with anything... it's all so hopeless and depressing.

Boy am I glad I am not as pessimistic and unhappy about life as you.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 31, 2008, 01:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Things are going to change- being defeatist now only slows it down a little which could be very bad. Things change slowly so poo-pooing a baby step because it doesn't get us to the goal is short-sighted.

Here's your medieval optimum by the way-

I'm curious as to what evidence B1lk1 is drawing on that excuses humans from responsibility for global warming.

You guys should read all the evidence and then decide- don't just base it on the fact that you'd rather not worry about it because it makes you uncomfortable. Sure everyone has an agenda and yes people have built their careers on researching cliamte change, but the established money is all behind the 'NO' camp, and there is much greater grounds for hidden agendas for the deniers of human responsibility for global warming. And such hatred and bitterness from people! (methinks the lady doth protest too much)! It's as if you think that those who believe humans are causing climate change ENJOY this phenomenon- it's a constant source of anxiety for many people, and who knows- maybe it will one day prove to be nothing to worry about- we can only hope, but closing your eyes and plugging your ears, yelling "LALALALALALALALALA" isn't productive.

Some compare it to chicken little's warning, but if you look around at the body of scientific evidence, it is compelling- this theory was based on more than just a little melted ice.

Last edited by Babrbarossa; March 31, 2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old March 31, 2008, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
... or maybe blow the whole planet up today...
That right there reminded me of the book/movie "On the Beach". :P
One imaginary point to anyone who is under 30 that has either read the book or seen the movie. hehe.