Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2008, 10:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well still like 80% of the worlds carbon dioxide is created by the earth not humans. Also some scientists have said that there would but mass flooding right now but there isn't. They also said that last year would have severe hurricanes above average and there were hardly any. Scientists don't always know everything. Especially when it comes to the environment. I believe that there is enought oil for 100 years at least. And by the time oil becomes in a low supply there will be tons of different alternative fuels. Like in 2010 there will be cars that run on compressed air. And this 2012 stuff is BS.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 29, 2008, 10:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Will humans devour the resources of the planet, definitely.

Are humans the cause of climate change, definitely NOT.
Old March 29, 2008, 10:42 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Will humans devour the resources of the planet, definitely.

Are humans the cause of climate change, definitely NOT.

ding ding ding

finally someone who isnt brainwashed

The surge of current at 9PM when everyone turned everything back on causes more wasted energy dealing with the surge then was saved during the outage in the first place.
VIDEO: 3 x Visiontek HD3870

Last edited by vinister; March 29, 2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old March 29, 2008, 11:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I believe in global warming... as a mater of FACT global warming exists... did we all forget that the globe used to be under massive glaciers?? Did these glaciers not melt? i'm thinking the globe must have warmed up for that to have happened. Do i believe that the globe has warmed in an accelerated fasion in the last hundred or so years? perhaps, i dont know for sure, but i could logically deduce that since there are much fewer glaciers around these days to keep the area cooler in the summer that the glaciers would probably melt faster and faster every year, or i could guess that it hasnt been but for the last 50 years that we've had the technology to actually measure this and are jumping the gun a bit.

Everyone knows there are many weather patterns and cycles and alot of these cycles take many years to complete, there is no telling what effects these cycles have on the the earth. What we're recording now may very well be quite normal.

Now, do i think humans are totally f**cking this planet? Absolutely. I dont believe in the whole "global warming" BS, or the
"slow down your energy consumption" BS.... its not a solution, not even almost. Sure we should'nt go out of our way to consumer MORE, and we should be consious of what we do use, but its not a solution... a solution would be finding an energy source that doesnt cause environmental issues. Telling us to consume less, and thats it? cmon... thats like being stuck on a deserted island with 2 kegs of fresh water and saying "drink only 1 cup a day, thats all we have" then never going to look for more...

If somebody wanted to convince me that what average joe did would make a difference they would have to present me with a graph that had:
A: the total amount of pollutants produced by the total amount of average joes in the country per year
B: the total amount of pollutants produced by commercial entities in the country per year
C: the total amount of pollutants occuring naturally in the country per year

i'm pretty sure that if you took the entire amount of pollutants produced by every person in this country combined we wouldnt even scratch the surface of what commercial entities are producing. But yet the only media you ever see/hear about is encouragement for Ave Joe to cut back what he uses.

There are two areas though were i think we do need to cut back, and both have already been addressed, 1: what comes out of the back end of vehicles, 2: household garbage.... i think these two are a problem only because they are compounded in small areas.

If the powers that be really wanted to be serious about pollution control, they would have to take it to the commercial sector and seriously research alternitive energies. And i dont mean electric, because electric/hybrid cars are just a patch job. they still depend on burning fossil fuels to run. I'm no physicist but i dont know why we cant use hydrogen? The byproduct of burning hydrogen is water water = H20 think of the possibilities, if you could find a way to break the atoms down to produce hydrogen gas in a car, you could not only have "free" fuel, but solve alot of water problems all over the world. Eg, Japan has to scrounge up every last bit of fresh water it can to sustain its population... if all the vehicles in japan (wich are VERY small vehicles btw) drove hydrogen cars that could convert water to hydrogen/oxygen itself, they could take water from the oceans, burn it, store the salt someplace and store the fresh water "exhaust" another place to take home to the family that night, or drop it into exhaust water dumping stations or something that could run the exhaust's fresh water to a cystern someplace to filter it properly to introduce it back into the populations fresh water system. No longer would you get sick from the exhaust of millions of cars in the air, you'd actually probly feel quite good instead! just think of all that extra oxygen that would be in the air lol you'd probly get quite high ;) Or they could feed the engine the pure oxygen to burn with the hydrogen to make an engine that is much more efficient. This approch would probly be best because all that extra oxygen in the air not only would make for an epoch of artists (woooo i'm high, what pretty colors...) it would probly make fires alot more dangerous.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0

Last edited by tzetsin; March 29, 2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old March 30, 2008, 12:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Been using Blackle since the Blackle logo looked like the Google logo but black. Only cuz Blackle looks bad ass though, not because it's "green". Does it really save energy... doubtful on my LCD. A pixel is a pixel and if the backlight is on I doubt it matters what bloody colour it is :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinister View Post
ding ding ding

finally someone who isnt brainwashed

The surge of current at 9PM when everyone turned everything back on causes more wasted energy dealing with the surge then was saved during the outage in the first place.
That's exactly what I was saying to my wife. We actually did the 8-9 lights out thing. We lit candles and.. well you don't need to know the rest but anyways. I guess it's more about trying to be aware of how many appliances etc... you have in the house running at any one time. Very surprising to walk around and unplug or click every power bar off that has something in standby or a clock on it. But ya turning it all back on at 9 seems rather silly. Maybe we'll be more aware about what doesn't need to be on though?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 30, 2008, 07:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You could never convince me in a million years that global warming exists. There are far too many variables and we are putting blind faith into scientific guesses that they are right. They have not even come close to proving their case. In fact, they are purposely NOT researching into the possibility it is cyclic and they are dead set on the whole global warming fad because it is bringing them all the attention they so desire.

Q: Is the atmosphere warming up?
A: It is sure possible.

Q: Are we directly responsible?
A: No.

Q: Will humans destroy the Earth?
A: Eventually we will one way or another.

If you really believe that this magical Earth hour crap will do ANYTHING to stop pollution you are sadly mistaken. The only way for use to change is for serious major restrictions in our lifestyles here in North America. We are the worst and until we change nothing will change. Until they ban automobiles with over 4 cylinders and they ban the massive wasteful ways of us, this will never change. Go ahead, turn off your lights and hug some trees. You accomplished nothing. I don't mean to sound SO cynical, but until the entire population makes MAJOR hurtful lifestyle changes, nothing will change.
Old March 30, 2008, 09:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

First you say this...

Quote:
You could never convince me in a million years that global warming exists. ...
Then you say this...

Quote:
The only way for use to change is for serious major restrictions in our lifestyles here in North America. We are the worst and until we change nothing will change. Until they ban automobiles with over 4 cylinders and they ban the massive wasteful ways of us, this will never change.
Why bother if Global Warming doesn't exist? If you're going to pipe in with stupid baseless accusations and trying to demean others with your comments then maybe you should stick to your argument

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 30, 2008, 10:07 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

For anyone brainwashed by global warming go look up "Medieval Climate Optimum". When we can grow wheat on Greenland again....THEN we will be as warm as it was in the 1100-1300s. According to global warming wonks temps that they had during that period should have resulted in Manhattan island being under water...which is wasn't. Global warming should only be considered fact when A) majority of scientist actually agree on whats going on (and not like the 256 koyto models we have now) and B) any model that predicts the future and says were screwed should be able to be accurately "predict" the past (ie be accurately regressive). Take any of the global warming doomsday models and work backwards with them and you end up with BS readings for the past which means they are severely flawed.

Should we clean up our act and reduce pollution...YES, but don't come to me with your hand out saying you need increased taxes or need me to give up my quad computer to "SAVE THE WOOOOOORLLLLLLDDDDD".

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; March 30, 2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old March 30, 2008, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I haven't changed my opinion or argument. What I am stating is that we will eat up out resources and destroy the planet. That is inevitable. But we are on the fast track to doing that with our wasteful ways. My argument is that there is no such thing as global warming and that still stands true. This does not mean we should attempt to devour the planet in our own lifetime as well.
Old March 30, 2008, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

b1lkl1, I think some of the reason behind turning the crap in people's houses off for an hour or whatever was partly a symbolical act. It may not result in much of any reduced consumption but it sure makes a splash and gets people talking about it. (Just like it did here) It also shows that some people are willing to take such measures.

Also, if large corporations see everyone obsessing about things being "green" (and boycotting things that are not) then they might be more inclined to go "green" because it would appeal to much of the public and possibly help their bottom line.

On a side note I was not even aware of this power-less hour or whatever you want to call it so I did not take part.

I don't want to get involved in a global warming argument here though so I won't comment on that.
/me brushes his quite long hair and goes to hug some of the many larch and cedar trees outside.

Last edited by MacJunky; March 30, 2008 at 06:03 PM.