Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   DDR4 to Arrive in 2014? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/53332-ddr4-arrive-2014-a.html)

Sam_Reynolds April 13, 2012 02:15 PM

DDR4 to Arrive in 2014?

According to sources that spoke on the condition of anonymity to VR-Zone, Intel will begin introducing DDR4 to their high-end server lines in 2014 with desktops to follow a year later.

Read more here: DDR4 to Arrive in 2014? | Hardware Canucks

Masteroderus April 13, 2012 05:38 PM

Will it make it to home desktops by 2014? Will there be applications that can use such a wide memory bandwidth for gamers by then??

I HOPE SO! :punk:

supaflyx3 April 13, 2012 05:40 PM

On both i doubt it. Would be cool to see module sizes increase to 16GB per DIMM though, if DDR4 brings that to the table.

martin_metal_88 April 16, 2012 06:19 PM

This have been on the web for 1 week and many idiot customer asked me for DDR4 stuff this week...damn people are dumb.

On the IT side. is DDR4 really needed? Yes it's good that they bring it out of research but damn wait for processor to be able to use such amount of memory and speed before getting it out, unless that intel is going to pass 15 more new socket only to use it for no real reason.

Keywork April 16, 2012 09:07 PM

The speed is somewhat nonsensical at this point. The only real bonus I see here is the reduced voltage, but that's about it.

terrybear April 17, 2012 01:27 AM

Let me remind folks of 1 thing here ... IF DDR4 can not only lower latencies of the interconnect between it & the rest of the componets + as more speed/bandwidth it will be needed.

Think of the current situation of the move to a cpu/apu solution ..... Imagine for a moment a liano type of setup with say the ability to pull resources from say a DDR4 4 Ghz solution.

As has been proven already those current systems benefit from the higher speed DDR3 ram, so whats to say by following logic that it will do so with DDR4 moduals.

Bond007 April 17, 2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 (Post 621271)
This have been on the web for 1 week and many idiot customer asked me for DDR4 stuff this week...damn people are dumb.

On the IT side. is DDR4 really needed? Yes it's good that they bring it out of research but damn wait for processor to be able to use such amount of memory and speed before getting it out, unless that intel is going to pass 15 more new socket only to use it for no real reason.

For the most part I agree, but there are cases when it would help now. AMD APU have enough graphics power (though I know still not pushing discrete any time soon) that they are memory bandwidth limited in many cases and faster ram makes a substantial difference (from reviews I have read atleast). More memory bandwidth is not going to hurt a CPU, and its going to help those running graphics that rely on it, so I say bring on DDR4.