Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11, 2012, 05:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The world isn't going to come to an end MacJunky, but the very fact that the great majority of Mac users buy into the myth that they Can't (not probably won't because of scale) get a nasty on their computers makes this much more noteworthy than the latest windows based virus.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 11, 2012, 06:09 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Yep I had a "Macs don't get viruses" statement a short while ago.

I can understand why Apple takes a while as they don't have a lot of experience with updates and security. Its cute, really.

If you are going to put marketing into "Macs don't get viruses" like Apple did, they do deserve what they get, especially if they had a slow response to the threats.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 12, 2012, 12:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Salesmen at the mac stores actually uses this as a selling feature and people eat it up. I don't hope all mac users get a virus but maybe this will open some eyes. Other than the ipad and the iphone apple products like the macbooks are just well built notebooks with an os that some people prefer. As the market share increase so will the likelihood of virus. It is inevitable.
Old April 12, 2012, 12:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

When comes to hackers statements like Its un-hackable un-penetrable no one can crack it sets in motion a challenge and they love challenges. Crap they make their living on it.
Old April 12, 2012, 12:50 PM
MVP

I am a Macbook User. I love my little 13 inch pro for photo editing and work. I do love Apples products.

However I am not a fanboy with them. Under that Apple logo is a standard everyday PC. Same parts and everything. What makes a Mac a Mac is the OS....nothing else.

That said it is only common sense that the more popular Macs get the more that they will become a target. Pure and simple logic there. NOTHING is immune to a dedicated hacker or moron who decides to make a virus for it.

Whenever I get a person that says that "Macs don't get virus's" I literally laugh in their face and tell them the exact same thing.

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.

When a ladder was stolen from a store the manager said that further steps would be taken
Old April 12, 2012, 01:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

The reason the Mac OS is so limited to getting crap like this is become the user is essentially boxed into a little room with no keys to get out. You can provide the key of which then your system can become compromised.

This is the ONE major difference between Mac OS and Windows but if it wasn't for FreeBSD Mac OS wouldn't have this feature.
Old April 12, 2012, 01:39 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Pretty sure the main reason Macs get less viruses is PC's 85% world market share. Virus developers want to hit the most people with their virus so they develop mainly for PC. It's a pure numbers game. People that think any OS is secure need to wake up.
Old April 12, 2012, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Pretty sure the main reason Macs get less viruses is PC's 85% world market share. Virus developers want to hit the most people with their virus so they develop mainly for PC. It's a pure numbers game. People that think any OS is secure need to wake up.
True to some degree but its 100x easier to infect a Windows than a Mac system due to Admin privledges.
Old April 13, 2012, 07:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
True to some degree but its 100x easier to infect a Windows than a Mac system due to Admin privledges.
Yeah but any sensible person with Windows has some sort of anti-virus/malware protection which hardly anyone with a mac has. Thus making it easier to infect a mac.
Old April 13, 2012, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Yeah but any sensible person with Windows has some sort of anti-virus/malware protection which hardly anyone with a mac has. Thus making it easier to infect a mac.
I guess I'm not sensible