Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 29, 2012, 10:52 AM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default New Rumors Suggest Playstation 4 to be Named “Orbis”, Use AMD Chips

According to new rumors from one of Kotaku’s “reliable sources”, then semi-confirmed by the British edition of Official Playstation Magazine, Sony’s next generation Playstation will be called “Orbis” and will be powered by chips from AMD.

Read more here: New Rumors Suggest Playstation 4 to be Named

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old March 29, 2012, 11:05 AM
MVP

My System Specs

DARN IT! Never fails. I just bought a PS3 and now they announce a PS4. always one step behind the curve. LOL!
Old March 29, 2012, 11:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza2000 View Post
DARN IT! Never fails. I just bought a PS3 and now they announce a PS4. always one step behind the curve. LOL!
Ps3 has been out for like 4-5 years now and they haven't even said when it WOULD be released.
Old March 29, 2012, 11:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It'll be out 6 years this fall I believe, and I don't think it's the console that's limiting gaming right now, aka the 360 is (Not counting the wii as major game is ported/developed for it along with the real consoles and pc)
Old March 29, 2012, 11:17 AM
News Editor

My System Specs

I find it very interesting that both major consoles are opting to use AMD gear...

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old March 29, 2012, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Reynolds View Post
I find it very interesting that both major consoles are opting to use AMD gear...
Im not, you think your going to get a cheaper/discounted cpu/gpu by goin intel/nvidia? not to mention heat & ect.

Think about it, a decently clocked 4 cored piledriver liano type chip with beefed up apu would be able to offer sony or any other company a all in 1 chip solution at a reasonable cost.

Remember how much it cost sony to not just develop the PS3 but also produce them.
Old March 29, 2012, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

They were just able to negotiate a better price per chip with AMD than with Intel. Both chip manufacturers have products that will meet the console mfgers' performance, size and efficiency requirements.

Plus remember, in the PC enthusiast world, most people are Intel aficionados simply because Intel holds (and has held for a number of years) the performance crown. If you want the fastest CPUs in the world, go Intel. At any other performance level (i.e. console performance) AMD is just as valid as Intel. They're probably just a little bit cheaper.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old March 29, 2012, 11:21 PM
MVP

The CPU in gaming hardly plays as big a role as a better video card. When it comes to the budget / bang for the buck, AMD is the king.
Although some might argue that with the release of the gtx 680. Let's face it, you're no longer thinking about budget when you want the very best / top of the line.

Besides, with the success of the Llano chips, it's plenty of reason to go with AMD.
Old March 30, 2012, 09:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza2000 View Post
LoL you remind me of myself.
Old March 30, 2012, 09:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

plus I thought AMD was gonna handle their GPU! or is it both now?