Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   New Rumors Suggest Playstation 4 to be Named “Orbis”, Use AMD Chips (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/52847-new-rumors-suggest-playstation-4-named-orbis-use-amd-chips.html)

Sam_Reynolds March 29, 2012 10:52 AM

New Rumors Suggest Playstation 4 to be Named “Orbis”, Use AMD Chips

According to new rumors from one of Kotaku’s “reliable sources”, then semi-confirmed by the British edition of Official Playstation Magazine, Sony’s next generation Playstation will be called “Orbis” and will be powered by chips from AMD.

Read more here: New Rumors Suggest Playstation 4 to be Named

bonanza2000 March 29, 2012 11:05 AM

DARN IT! Never fails. I just bought a PS3 and now they announce a PS4. always one step behind the curve. LOL!

enaberif March 29, 2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonanza2000 (Post 615910)
DARN IT! Never fails. I just bought a PS3 and now they announce a PS4. always one step behind the curve. LOL!

Ps3 has been out for like 4-5 years now and they haven't even said when it WOULD be released.

Arinoth March 29, 2012 11:17 AM

It'll be out 6 years this fall I believe, and I don't think it's the console that's limiting gaming right now, aka the 360 is (Not counting the wii as major game is ported/developed for it along with the real consoles and pc)

Sam_Reynolds March 29, 2012 11:17 AM

I find it very interesting that both major consoles are opting to use AMD gear...

terrybear March 29, 2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam_Reynolds (Post 615915)
I find it very interesting that both major consoles are opting to use AMD gear...

Im not, you think your going to get a cheaper/discounted cpu/gpu by goin intel/nvidia? not to mention heat & ect.

Think about it, a decently clocked 4 cored piledriver liano type chip with beefed up apu would be able to offer sony or any other company a all in 1 chip solution at a reasonable cost.

Remember how much it cost sony to not just develop the PS3 but also produce them.

great_big_abyss March 29, 2012 12:28 PM

They were just able to negotiate a better price per chip with AMD than with Intel. Both chip manufacturers have products that will meet the console mfgers' performance, size and efficiency requirements.

Plus remember, in the PC enthusiast world, most people are Intel aficionados simply because Intel holds (and has held for a number of years) the performance crown. If you want the fastest CPUs in the world, go Intel. At any other performance level (i.e. console performance) AMD is just as valid as Intel. They're probably just a little bit cheaper.

YoungMan March 29, 2012 11:21 PM

The CPU in gaming hardly plays as big a role as a better video card. When it comes to the budget / bang for the buck, AMD is the king.
Although some might argue that with the release of the gtx 680. Let's face it, you're no longer thinking about budget when you want the very best / top of the line.

Besides, with the success of the Llano chips, it's plenty of reason to go with AMD.

LegendMask March 30, 2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonanza2000 (Post 615910)

LoL you remind me of myself.

LegendMask March 30, 2012 09:26 AM

plus I thought AMD was gonna handle their GPU! or is it both now?