Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   Research Firm Thinks Android Will Eclipse Windows by 2016 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/52845-research-firm-thinks-android-will-eclipse-windows-2016-a.html)

Sam_Reynolds March 29, 2012 10:20 AM

Research Firm Thinks Android Will Eclipse Windows by 2016

2016 will be the dawn of the post-PC world, according to a report by market research firm IDC.

Read more here: Research Firm Thinks Android Will Eclipse Windows by 2016 | Hardware Canucks

Arinoth March 29, 2012 10:31 AM

Though isn't a slight game changer is the fact Windows 8 (and probably all other versions after) now can run on the ARM processor? Not saying it's better then android, just that they've opened up from just supporting the x86 platform

supaflyx3 March 29, 2012 12:51 PM

No.
Companies aren't going to switch to a completely different operating system where none of their previous applications will work, at least thats said for firms that are using windows, if they're using linux it'll be a seamless transition

sswilson March 29, 2012 12:57 PM

Personally, after dumping the great majority of my Google profile due to privacy concerns, I wouldn't touch an android phone/tablet with a ten foot pole.

enaberif March 29, 2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 615943)
Personally, after dumping the great majority of my Google profile due to privacy concerns, I wouldn't touch an android phone/tablet with a ten foot pole.

Would you like some tinfoil with that whine?

sswilson March 29, 2012 01:01 PM

Nope, don't need any more. I've got plenty on hand thank you..... ;)

Generic User #2 March 30, 2012 02:36 PM

The thing with comparing phones to PCs is that phones are meant to be used by one person only, whereas PCs are meant to be shared. I'll never understand how these firms come to the conclusions that they do.

b1lk1 March 30, 2012 02:53 PM

Absolutely one of the most laughable claims to made so far this decade. I cannot believe anyone at all on the entire planet would take such a ridiculous claim even remotely seriously. This is just stupid. Half the business world just finished the transition to Windows XP. Android is possibly the least secure OS to be out right now and you want us to believe that it is about to eclipse Windows?

Absolute rubbish, this should NOT be in the news section. This hardly qualifies for the rumors section. This belongs in the "Absolutely F$%ing Stupid" section.

chrisk March 30, 2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supaflyx3 (Post 615940)
No.
Companies aren't going to switch to a completely different operating system where none of their previous applications will work, at least thats said for firms that are using windows, if they're using linux it'll be a seamless transition

Heh...we are still on XP, with no obvious plans to move to Win7 or even 8.

muse108dc March 30, 2012 03:32 PM

Well in a pre windows 8 world I'm saying. God no. In a post Win8 world I still think god no.

Post PC is just a phrase that Apple started because it cant compete with windows. The PC isnt going anywhere. Really have you tried typing a paper on a bluetooth keyboard even, doesnt work well.