Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2012, 03:17 AM
Allstar

Post-PC is just a term that people that call tweeting 'real work' like to use.
Old March 31, 2012, 06:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

All I have to say to Android in one word to sum up their current inability to take over much ,if any of the PC world:

printing

Add to that the fact cut and paste does not work and you have 2 major reasons we won't see this. Android is for phones and tablets. Phones and tablets cannot and will not be taking over the PC's jobs in the next decade, nevermind 4 years. Even with a keyboad dock, my Transformer is still light years away from a notebook computer. It does many things very well, namely entertainment, but it falls short on productivity and security.

Maybe by 2020 the worlds major businesses will start considering getting off Windows XP, but you can guarantee they will be looking for another Windows product.
Old March 31, 2012, 02:40 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

At best we'll see more ARM based windows devices in enterprises, but I doubt Android would overtake Windows. Even apple should start to worry about Windows tablets and Windows Phone 8. iPhone in enterprise as well as Android are a real pain to manage and I really don't get why they do not bother doing something about it.

I myself tried to get rid of Windows a few times but had to move back my computer, laptop and a couple servers to Windows due to compatibility issues (or lack thereof) with certain apps.

A good Windows 8 tablet supporting external monitors (ideally 2) and a keyboard dock would definitely get my business even if I don't like the metro stuff -yet?-.
Old March 31, 2012, 03:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As long as Google maintains it's data harvesting ways, Microsoft has little to worry about them in enterprise situations. If Microsoft takes the cue from RIM and sticks to a secure OS, they will easily keep Google on smart phones and tablets that will not be allowed to use major corporate networks.
Old March 31, 2012, 09:30 PM
Allstar

google already lets you use their software on your own servers?
Old April 3, 2012, 05:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
All I have to say to Android in one word to sum up their current inability to take over much ,if any of the PC world:

printing

Add to that the fact cut and paste does not work and you have 2 major reasons we won't see this. Android is for phones and tablets. Phones and tablets cannot and will not be taking over the PC's jobs in the next decade, nevermind 4 years. Even with a keyboad dock, my Transformer is still light years away from a notebook computer. It does many things very well, namely entertainment, but it falls short on productivity and security.

Maybe by 2020 the worlds major businesses will start considering getting off Windows XP, but you can guarantee they will be looking for another Windows product.
Cut and paste works for me and printing really isn't all that difficult to put in. Also everyone who is saying "no way" if everyone who owns a PC owns an android phone they will be at 1:1. These aren't home PC's we are talking about, they are tablets and cell phones. Are businesses big markets? yes. But at the same time there are 4 billion people who will have personal devices and 10% of those customers is more than enough to overthrow windows.

Also Android is no less secure than iOS, in a way it is more secure because you can actually get spyware removal and virus scan apps. Whereas most iOS virus's I have encountered kill your device.