Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   Arctic Shows Off the Accelero Xtreme III Cooler (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/52774-arctic-shows-off-accelero-xtreme-iii-cooler.html)

Sam_Reynolds March 27, 2012 09:57 AM

Arctic Shows Off the Accelero Xtreme III Cooler

According to a teaser from the Arctic team that landed in the Hardware Canucks inbox this morning, their new Accelero Xtreme III cooler is due on May 21 with an MSRP of $119.95.

Read more here: Arctic Shows Off the Accelero Xtreme III Cooler | Hardware Canucks

sswilson March 27, 2012 11:22 AM

$120 for an aftermarket GPU cooler? As much as I love AC aftermarket solutions, I can damn near buy a full coverage WB for that!!!!

Arinoth March 27, 2012 11:42 AM

I would have to agree with you there, they sort of went a little high for the price point of this.

sswilson March 27, 2012 11:50 AM

At one point (ATI 9600 Pro I'm looking at you!!!! ;) ), AC's aftermarket cooling was an absolute must for anybody who wanted to OC their vid card. Hell, in some cases (9600pro, 1950pro come to mind) the stock cooling didn't prevent artifacting on stock speeds in a warm case. These days though, most manufacturers are offering (most likely produced by AC, or AC's OEM) cards with excellent custom cooling solutions. I really can't see spending $120 unless the card is out of warranty and your custom cooling is fubarred.....

[nK]Sharp March 30, 2012 04:48 PM

I have the second generation one and it is pretty good. I wouldn't see myself spending that much though, watercooling is pretty much cheaper at that point and more silent.

Galcobar March 30, 2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 615185)
At one point (ATI 9600 Pro I'm looking at you!!!! ;) ), AC's aftermarket cooling was an absolute must for anybody who wanted to OC their vid card. Hell, in some cases (9600pro, 1950pro come to mind) the stock cooling didn't prevent artifacting on stock speeds in a warm case. These days though, most manufacturers are offering (most likely produced by AC, or AC's OEM) cards with excellent custom cooling solutions. I really can't see spending $120 unless the card is out of warranty and your custom cooling is fubarred.....

And with a three-year warranty, by that point you could likely get a replacement card that's just as fast or faster for the same $120.

LegendMask March 30, 2012 07:48 PM

I've hear'd a lot about this cooler and they seem really good, but I cant justify spending $120 on it

JMCD March 30, 2012 09:29 PM

$60-$80 seems to be a good price point for these, but in all honesty a vast majority of the new AMD cards have the optional of a non-stock cooler that is already just as good as this. Shortly, nvidia cards will as well. $30 premium for a card that comes with a nice cooler already pre-installed that doesn't void your warranty vs the accelero. Their pricing ought to compete with that premium a little better.

b1lk1 April 3, 2012 04:59 AM

The ball. she has been dropped.

Far too high pricepoint. They will probably employ rebates to get them to sell and that will only work to a limited audience. Bad move.

Bungwirez April 3, 2012 05:32 AM

She is expensive.
Unless GPU makers just start selling straight up boards without ANY cooling.
Let the end user decide water or AC or whatever.

I'm feeling all kinds of guilt for turning a couple of DCII 570 heatsinks into toys for Little Bungz.