Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2012, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default L.E.D. physics.

Hey look at this :

LED's Efficiency Exceeds 100% - Slashdot

Please disregard all the "hype".....it's not really more than 100% efficient.Here's what I gleaned from it ;

It appears certain LED setups operating in the 'inefficient zones' of the voltage-light graph actually emit photons greater than the electrical input.....and they seem to act as 'peltier-coolers' in doing so.
---

Seems interesting.I suspect this is an important discovery.I'll be looking into this more.

Old March 9, 2012, 03:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Makes one wonder....

Old March 9, 2012, 03:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sure it's possible.

Seems like thats almost a Light-Emitting-Peltier.

Nice pic tho !!

Old March 9, 2012, 03:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If these LED's do what the article says, it kind of destroys all conventional physics and scientific theory to date. Energy in doesn't necessarily equal energy out any more.
Old March 9, 2012, 03:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
If these LED's do what the article says, it kind of destroys all conventional physics and scientific theory to date. Energy in doesn't necessarily equal energy out any more.
Well that's not entirely true, when they say it works as a cooler it is because you are putting electricity in and the diode is absorbing heat from around it. Overall the input = the ouput you are just getting input from more than one source. These lights would be less efficient electrically under cold conditions and would probably be quite a bit dimmer. Lets just say they won't be used as heat lamps or in your tv without a space heater.
Old March 9, 2012, 03:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Well that's not entirely true, when they say it works as a cooler it is because you are putting electricity in and the diode is absorbing heat from around it. Overall the input = the ouput you are just getting input from more than one source. These lights would be less efficient electrically under cold conditions and would probably be quite a bit dimmer. Lets just say they won't be used as heat lamps or in your tv without a space heater.

makes sense now.
Old March 10, 2012, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

It's wordy , but the abstract for the research paper explains it perfectly :

Quote:
A heated semiconductor light-emitting diode at low forward bias voltage V<kBT/q is shown to use electrical work to pump heat from the lattice to the photon field. Here the rates of both radiative and nonradiative recombination have contributions at linear order in V. As a result the device’s wall-plug (i.e., power conversion) efficiency is inversely proportional to its output power and diverges as V approaches zero. Experiments directly confirm for the first time that this behavior continues beyond the conventional limit of unity electrical-to-optical power conversion efficiency.
I'm curious about just how much heat it can move.

I almost wanna spend the 5$ to read the paper.