Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2012, 10:18 AM
News Editor

My System Specs

Default For the PC World the End is Nigh, Warns Former Microsoft Exec

Ray Ozzie’s first public comments on Microsoft, after stepping down from the company abruptly in 2010, were melancholic – foreboding of a time where the company would be quickly declining in relevancy under its current business model.

Read more here: For the PC World the End is Nigh, Warns Former Microsoft Exec | Hardware Canucks

Follow Hardware Canucks on Twitter:
@hardwarecanucks
Old March 8, 2012, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The end of the PC world is not near considering a lot of businesses are still running windows XP...

PC's aren't going anywhere for a while. Smart phones and tablets are getting popular but that doesn't mean PC's are leaving.

And I think windows 8 is going to be a big fail
Old March 8, 2012, 01:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I still give it a few years as prices , and program sizes and the Hard ware sizes become smaller and smaller and less demanding the PC will become Obolete to most people that just surf the net or do office things.
Old March 8, 2012, 01:30 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

My prediction is windows 8 will be a fail on the pc. Also I would hate to have PCs become obsolete(good thing it won't be for a long while) I would miss my 560 square inches of screen space and folding points.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old March 8, 2012, 01:46 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

That statement is just stupid, what do you think these pads and smartphones are designed on, PC's. Electronics design on something with a 7" screen I've got 2 24" 1920x1200's and I could use a heck of a lot more real estate.
Old March 8, 2012, 01:50 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

PCs won't die but they will become less popular. For most, I believe that the PC can still be the centre of your information network in a home.

A friend of mine recently moved from England back to Canada. She sold her computers, and kept only the iPad with the goal of eventually purchasing another PC after a month or so.

She never bought the PC. She simply got used to the iPad, and it did everything she needed. She is open to getting one but I believe she has gone seeral months and does not miss her PC at all. I wonder how many others will follow suit?
Fold for team #54196
Old March 8, 2012, 03:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

tablets are great for what the majority of the population use computers for (facebook, msn and web browsing)

Unfortunately I dont fall into the majority as Im a 20 tab per monitor guy, a gamer and a content creator( a power user if thats what you want to call it). Tablets are far away from being a multitasking power user's device.
Old March 8, 2012, 03:38 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Or we can all wait and see what happens when people like this guy, that think they have their finger on the pulse of the world, are totally off the mark.
Desktops, Tablets and Smart phones are used for different tasks. Those tasks are decided by how well they work on that form factor.
A Tablet can never replace a PC. A desktop can't replace a smartphone. It's rock paper scissors all over again.
Windows 8 will fail because it is attempting to be all things to everything. Why not just build a better desktop OS?