Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Press Releases & Tech News (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/)
-   -   Massive Layoffs at Blizzard (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/press-releases-tech-news/52076-massive-layoffs-blizzard.html)

Sam_Reynolds February 29, 2012 04:08 PM

Massive Layoffs at Blizzard

Blizzard announced today that it was laying off 600 employees, though its CEO said that the majority of those laid off were not directly involved in game development.

Read more here: Massive Layoffs at Blizzard | Hardware Canucks

CMetaphor February 29, 2012 04:54 PM

Prolly cause SC2 is kindof a flop compared to SC1? I mean SC1 still is fun to this day whereas SC2 just seems different... SC2 single player is kinda easy and over quickly. SC2 multiplayer can be stupidly hard to the point where its frustrating to play at all. lol...

Galcobar February 29, 2012 05:16 PM

They're not cutting much in the way of developers -- only 10% or 60 positions are game development. The rest, well, they didn't say but I suspect we'll continue to see "longer than usual volumes of petitions" warning when people try to access customer service.

The Blizzard unit of Activision-Blizzard has around 4500-5000 employees, so we're talking a workforce reduction of about 12 per cent. It's certainly significant, but not a crippling reduction. How much of it is related to the recently-completed server hardware changeover for World of Warcraft and the completion of localisations for several languages, we don't know.

exelias February 29, 2012 05:34 PM

Holy moly, Blizzard is that big?

Omega_Phoenix February 29, 2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exelias (Post 607165)

Gotta remember, Activision owns them now. There may have been a merge of positions or a transfer of a department.

Anyone who plays World of Warcraft may be interested in giving this a read:

Cataclysm Post Mortem -- Quest Design with Dave "Fargo" Kosak - World of Warcraft

Soultribunal February 29, 2012 08:05 PM

Blizzard is also getting competition from a lot more games that are making headway into there stagnent pool...
They need to change the strategy around a bit if they want to re-claim marketshare.

-ST

Birk February 29, 2012 08:21 PM

World of Warcraft + Panda Bear Expansion = Epic Fail

Galcobar February 29, 2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exelias (Post 607165)

No, the Blizzard unit of Activision-Blizzard is that big. All the non-Blizzard properties are still under Activision.

Soultribunal February 29, 2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birk (Post 607233)
World of Warcraft + Panda Bear Expansion = Epic Fail

It goes beyond that in my eyes...they have made too many mistakes now to correct a lot of what many people feel is wrong.
There was almost a sense of adventurer when you first started WoW. Now it is a grind.
And the only way to get the highest end is to GRIND, and hope and GRIND.
They are adding 'content' without adding 'content' if you know what I mean.

-ST

Birk February 29, 2012 08:35 PM

Yea I agree with you there. I quit playing shortly after Cataclysm came out. I pushed server firsts in vanilla, TBC and Wrath of the Lawlking