Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1, 2012, 12:05 AM
MVP

Most of those are probably maintenance positions for WoW. 2 million less people to look after sounds about right.
Old March 1, 2012, 12:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Strange with Diablo III coming out you'd think they would need all hands on deck for the rush of people coming to play. Mind you DIII won't be hosted on Blizz/ activision servers so maybe they are anticipating the large migration from WoW to DIII will reuqire less staff as ther servers will not be getting as much punishment. Also GW2 is coming out and that should kick WoW in the pants too.
Old March 1, 2012, 03:12 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
No, the Blizzard unit of Activision-Blizzard is that big. All the non-Blizzard properties are still under Activision.
I still don't get what you're trying to say.

Blizzard was a company; Activision was a company. the companies had a merger. In the merger, they realized they had duplicated departments. They merged the workforce of those departments.

How many units are you saying there are at Activision-Blizzard? Are you trying to say that there are Activision employees, Blizzard employees, and Activision-Blizzard employees?
Old March 1, 2012, 05:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birk View Post
Yea I agree with you there. I quit playing shortly after Cataclysm came out. I pushed server firsts in vanilla, TBC and Wrath of the Lawlking
Yep, I stoppped at the Lawlking when they in my mind really watered down the pve end game experience. Came back to Cata and found the same feel/attitude as I did in Lawlking.

Personally I am loving/enjoying SWTOR, sure it may have it's issues, but it's a lot of fun and it's an mmo my fiancee has enjoyed since playing the beta (she HATED WoW, found everything in it extremely boring to play).
Old March 1, 2012, 09:00 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

WoW has really gone down hill with Cata and I get the feeling Pandas=Jumping a Shark, the end is nye. I gave SWtOR a try but until something comes along with the same "feel" and community as WoW used to have I have gone back to playing WoW with the friends that are still there although only at a casual level now, no more 20-30 hours a week running raids 5 days a week like I use to.

Corsair 600TM, Corsair TX-950, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Core i5-2500k, Corsair H60, 4X4G Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600, Dual Gigabyte GTX-780 OC Rev2, Seagate 600 240G SSD, 3X WD Caviar Black 1TB, ASUS DVD, Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Old March 1, 2012, 09:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

They really need to go back to the drawing board and re-discover what made the game good initally. I think along the way they forgot, and that has resulted in what we have now.

I have no desire to do anything in playing, I haven't played in....forever now. Though I do occasionaly buy a card and see if its changed from before...still hasn't so there is just no desire.

EVE, WoT and soon to be MWO should satisfiy the niche's I have.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 1, 2012, 09:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
I still don't get what you're trying to say.

Blizzard was a company; Activision was a company. the companies had a merger. In the merger, they realized they had duplicated departments. They merged the workforce of those departments.

How many units are you saying there are at Activision-Blizzard? Are you trying to say that there are Activision employees, Blizzard employees, and Activision-Blizzard employees?
Activision-Blizzard is the parent company. Blizzard Entertainment is a subsidiary unit of Activision-Blizzard. Corporate governance is another way of explaining this: Robert Kotick is CEO of Activision-Blizzard. Mike Morhaine is president and CEO of Blizzard Entertainment. Eric Hershberg is CEO of Activison Publishing.

Or to give you a parallel. Activision-Blizzard is like the military -- it has branches. An soldier is a member of the Army, but still a member of the military.

Technically, Activision and Blizzard did not merge. Activision merged with Vivendi Games, which owned Blizzard. The combined company decided to go with the name Activision-Blizzard for marketing purposes. They then arranged the company so that Blizzard Entertainment and Activision Publishing were the two primary operating units. Activision Publishing largely does handheld and console (including PC ports, i.e. Call of Duty) games, while Blizzard Entertainment handles PC and online subscription games (i.e. StarCraft).

The cuts were made at Blizzard Entertainment, a unit of Activision-Blizzard. Activision-Blizzard has (or had) over 7000 employees, according to the company's website.

If you work for Blizzard, you work for Activision-Blizzard in the grand scheme of things.