Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 21, 2012, 04:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default BlackBerry Playbook OS2 now available

Not sure how many of you out there have a Playbook but RIM has now released OS2 and is available for download. BlackBerry - Software - BlackBerry Software for Smartphones

Post up some thoughts on the updates

Old February 21, 2012, 07:18 AM
Allstar

I just updated to it this morning

I have not used it accept to send and receive emails from my phone but there are improvements that I noticed like the keyboard ...

I also updated Blackberry Bridge to the new version as well. It connects to my Playbook no problem.
This update is supposed to let you control the Playbook remotely thru the phone ...

New OS delivers an enriched user experience for BlackBerry PlayBook tablet users

Waterloo, ON - Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ: RIMM; TSX: RIM) announced that the new BlackBerry® PlayBook™ OS 2.0 will be released for download today. BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 delivers an enhanced tablet experience and allows you to use the BlackBerry PlayBook in new ways throughout the day - at work and at play.

“Building on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet’s proven web browsing, multimedia and multitasking strengths, the new BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 introduces a range of new communications and productivity enhancements as well as expanded app and content support,” said David J. Smith, SVP Mobile Computing, Research In Motion.

New BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 features include:

Integrated email client with a powerful unified inbox: With BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 you have the option to use a unified inbox that consolidates all messages in one place, including messages from Facebook®, LinkedIn® and Twitter®, as well as personal and work email accounts.
Social Integration with Calendar and Contacts apps: The built-in calendar harnesses information from social networks and makes it available where and when users need it. Contact cards are also dynamically populated with updated information from Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn to create a consolidated view of contacts.
Updated BlackBerry Bridge app: BlackBerry® Bridge™ is a unique app that provides a Bluetooth® connection between your BlackBerry PlayBook and core apps on your BlackBerry® smartphone (including BBM™, Email, Contacts, Calendar and Browser) in order to let you view the content on the larger tablet display. With BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0, it’s easier and quicker than ever to take documents, web pages, emails and photos that appear on your BlackBerry smartphone and display them on your BlackBerry PlayBook for an optimized viewing and editing experience. The updated BlackBerry Bridge app also provides a new remote control feature that allows a BlackBerry smartphone to be used as a wireless keyboard and mouse for a BlackBerry PlayBook.
Improved mobile productivity: Updated document editing functions, the new Print To Go app, and increased control and manageability of corporate data with BlackBerry® Balance ™ allow you to get more out of your BlackBerry PlayBook every day. Plus, an updated virtual keyboard with auto correction and predictive next word completion learns how you type to enable faster, more accurate typing.
New apps and content: Thousands of new apps are being added to BlackBerry App World™ today (including a range of Android® apps that will run on the BlackBerry PlayBook). A new BlackBerry Video Store1 is launching today. Enhanced web browsing capabilities are also available with BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0.
In conjunction with the release of BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0, RIM is making available an initial release of BlackBerry® Mobile Fusion that will include support for managing BlackBerry PlayBook tablets and BlackBerry smartphones2 in an enterprise.
Old February 21, 2012, 07:51 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Honestly, if Blackberry had released this under another name and given it a good stylus (a la S-Pen), I would have bought it in a second. Instead, they called what SHOULD have been a professional tablet the "Playbook" and once again tried to appeal to everyday tablet users.

With that being said, our Playbooks at work have now been updated and the one I have in front of me feels MUCH more usable and user friendly.
Old February 21, 2012, 08:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I was wondering when this was, thanks for the heads up. Looks like I'll be telling my folks and brother to update theirs too.
Old February 21, 2012, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Honestly, if Blackberry had released this under another name and given it a good stylus (a la S-Pen), I would have bought it in a second. Instead, they called what SHOULD have been a professional tablet the "Playbook" and once again tried to appeal to everyday tablet users.

With that being said, our Playbooks at work have now been updated and the one I have in front of me feels MUCH more usable and user friendly.
I actually dont find a stylus needed with mine and I have pretty fat fingers, but if i was typing up a report then yes it might be warranted. Personally I am fine with the touch screen as it is, could be better but seen a whole lot worst.

Finally a email client, thank God that was probably my biggest bitch about the PB, now off to see about some Android apps.
But yeah I am sure I will find things to bitch about with the new OS but on the surface right now looking good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old February 21, 2012, 12:31 PM
MVP
F@H

Updated today as well but I haven't really checked it out. I'll probably test it out once I can root it and install the android market.

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old February 21, 2012, 12:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've been getting my gmail via a proper pop3 email client and haven't had any problems. That should resolve any issues folks were having getting gmail to work on the previous OS.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 21, 2012, 01:22 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Actually, I want a stylus for sketching and marking up architectural plans.
Old February 21, 2012, 01:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Actually, I want a stylus for sketching and marking up architectural plans.
Yeah I was attempting to draw up a basic plan of some foundation changes with mine.......... after 2 mins, I grabbed a pen and hit the fax machine.
Frustrating to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old February 21, 2012, 02:15 PM
Allstar

I was worried that I could not read the email off my phone after the update and for a while I thought I shot myself in the foot when I could not setup my work email account.

In the end I found that I did not need to set one up ... just tap on the top left at the unread messages and it asks if you want to connect via the bridge and it works like before.