Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Press Releases & Tech News

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2012, 04:46 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
The real question is: Why the forced delay? Its not yields, theyve been showing working Ivybridge parts for, what, a year now?

This just smells of profit margins and insider bs. With no competition from AMD, why not milk your last gen parts for as long as possible at maximum dollar? I'm starting to get frustrated with Intels business practices if my thoughts are accurate.
This is nothing new for Intel. It's the same reason they change socket configuration with virtually every semi-generation of processor - maximization of revenue.
Old February 16, 2012, 08:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
The real question is: Why the forced delay? Its not yields, theyve been showing working Ivybridge parts for, what, a year now?

This just smells of profit margins and insider bs. With no competition from AMD, why not milk your last gen parts for as long as possible at maximum dollar? I'm starting to get frustrated with Intels business practices if my thoughts are accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyteOwl View Post
This is nothing new for Intel. It's the same reason they change socket configuration with virtually every semi-generation of processor - maximization of revenue.
Exactly. Intel is a business just like any other business in the world and their goal is to maximize profits for themselves or shareholders. Of course most of the profits will be for themselves but it is still the goal of a corporation nonetheless. Once Ivy Bridge is out, no one will want Sandy Bridge anymore. What will Intel do with their inventory? Sell them at a huge loss like Fry's and Microcenter in the USA?

Keep in mind I am making this post as a person who wants to upgrade to Ivy Bridge in the future. No I don't need it, but that's like a lot of us who don't need smartphones either but want one.
Old February 17, 2012, 05:51 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I also was waiting for Ivy bridge to see what kind of ultrabooks would hit the shelves. My T520 is sill going strong but i'd like something slimmer. I expect a lot from the Ivy Bridge Zenbooks..
Old February 17, 2012, 06:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Also waiting to upgrade from X58. I guess I'll look at my options in 3-4 months

Back up - Ebay (Inik1) or Heatware
Old February 17, 2012, 10:13 AM
Allstar

The dealers will clear out older motherboards with sales resulting in a subsequent clearing of older processor inventories. The usual cycle. Those who held off, or couldn't afford, the top end upgrade at the time will get a relative bargain, and the bleeding edge crowd will opt for new toys.

As for smart phones, other than possibly the convenience of e-mail on a Blackberry, I personally have no desire or need for one - or the associated headaches. My cell phone does exactly what I need/want it to do - make telephone calls :)

I'm still using a QX9650@4GHz/X48/8GB ram as my "daily driver" and have yet to encounter anything it can't handle. I'm looking to upgrade the video card, but that's only for a bit better rendering in some games I've started playing again.
Old February 17, 2012, 10:15 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Considering it is 3 months from launch and we are just starting to see availability of 3930k now I wouldnt hold my breath for IB. LGA2011 distribution has been terrible, very tough to find the CPUs.